How to disassemble screen of Acer Switch 11 V (SW5-173-632W)? Need to replace video cable.

nick85er
nick85er Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
How to disassemble screen and open up tablet portion of Acer Switch 11 V (SW5-173-632W)?  Need to replace video cable - main screen has stopped displaying video, can connect to 2nd monitor and have 99% functionality (1% is a bit small for main monitor failure but this is bedroom media streaming entertainment device until I can repair/replace main monitor).

Cannot find any guides/technical or amateur/ nor can I locate any videos based on this particular model.  I'm assuming there is glue/tape holding screen in place on chassis?  Is this a heatgun situation and/or is there a specific place to start with the separation of screen from chassis?  Please advise and thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    There are four little screws on the bottom, one on each side the two voids where the keyboard is held in. Once they are out you turn the screen so you can get to the upper right corner and gradually pry the right side apart, then do the same on the left side and finally work the bottom side. It should be easy at that point to get the top apart.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    There are four little screws on the bottom, one on each side the two voids where the keyboard is held in. Once they are out you turn the screen so you can get to the upper right corner and gradually pry the right side apart, then do the same on the left side and finally work the bottom side. It should be easy at that point to get the top apart.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nick85er
    hey bill, thanks for this info!  these have a rounded appearance (?) and appear to be covered by semi-rigid "pads"?  i suspected these needed to be removed but didnt want to start willy nilly.

this is an excellent pointer and sincerely appreciated, wish me luck!
  • nick85er
    edited December 2019
    Update, successful operation.

I managed to correct the display output failure by simply reseating the existing connector - thanks for helping with this billsey
  • nick85er

• billsey
    Great! Happy I could help. Yeah, those pads are just little rubber inserts that have sticky on one side. They're pretty much for the look and don't really provide any functional use.