Power Limit Throttling and Current/EDP Limit Throttling Helios 300

Options
nitestrike
nitestrike Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, 

2 days ago I bought the Acer Predator Helios 300 with Nvidia GeForce 1650 Ti and i7-9750h. I started playing Dead by Daylight  (with all settings on LOW) and the temp reached 90-92, noticed Cooler Boost was not on so I turned it on so I did. Temps dropped to 85, the things is I don't want to have my fans be on max power from day 2 to be able to cool the laptop. I started researching about cpu tuning and I downloaded ThrottleStop (have it but haven't really used it) and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. In the Intel XTU I tried undervolting by a little bit and the temps did drop by a small portion, however I noticed that even when idling I would get a red Power Limit Throttling and Current/EDP Limit Throttling with a YES on both.

The following picture is on idle, NO stress test and NO game on. How can I fix this, because I really enjoy everything else about this laptop except for it's heating problems that seem to be fixable if tuned right.

I can upload more pictures and be will be providing additional info if need be. Currently I have reverted the undervolt numbers to the default, which was -0.125 V as shown in the picture.

Answers

• nitestrike
    Options
    Additional 1: I forgot to inform you that I have contacted Acer support prior to posting here. They told me that they can only take my laptop in service and to have the geek squad check it. I told them that if I have to service a 4 day old laptop I am better off refunding it and buying a different product, hence why I am here trying to make this work.
  • belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited December 2019
    Options
    That’s weird, you power throttle with package tdp 16w while it should be 45w
  • nitestrike
    Options
    @belik
    I am currently just watching a youtube video and my TDP is between 4-8 W

I am not sure what that even means, just thought it would be nice to inform you.
  • nitestrike
    Options
    @belik
    I just checked, during the game its 44-45W however Power Limit Throttling is constantly saying YES and is in RED
  • belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited December 2019
    Options
    You have also current/edp throttling and I never saw it on mine, I’m not sure this is normal 

Power throttling at 45 w is normal under a heavy load/stress tests
  • Rohit_Madu
    Rohit_Madu Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Hello, 

2 days ago I bought the Acer Predator Helios 300 with Nvidia GeForce 1650 Ti and i7-9750h. I started playing Dead by Daylight  (with all settings on LOW) and the temp reached 90-92, noticed Cooler Boost was not on so I turned it on so I did. Temps dropped to 85, the things is I don't want to have my fans be on max power from day 2 to be able to cool the laptop. I started researching about cpu tuning and I downloaded ThrottleStop (have it but haven't really used it) and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. In the Intel XTU I tried undervolting by a little bit and the temps did drop by a small portion, however I noticed that even when idling I would get a red Power Limit Throttling and Current/EDP Limit Throttling with a YES on both.

The following picture is on idle, NO stress test and NO game on. How can I fix this, because I really enjoy everything else about this laptop except for it's heating problems that seem to be fixable if tuned right.

I can upload more pictures and be will be providing additional info if need be. Currently I have reverted the undervolt numbers to the default, which was -0.125 V as shown in the picture.
    Did you found any solution?, cuz I recently bought my helios 300 in the March 2020 and now it started to thermal, power limit, current/EDP throttling all at the same time so I repasted it with thermal grizzly which took care of thermal throttling but the other two are same
  • deepanshuc
    deepanshuc Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options
    Did you found any solution?, cuz I recently bought my helios 300 in the March 2020 and now it started to thermal, power limit, current/EDP throttling all at the same time so I repasted it with thermal grizzly which took care of thermal throttling but the other two are same
    Hey, Rohit did you find any solution for this issue? I'm also facing this issue in my Helios 300 2020 model.