ES1 -523 - 231L My laptop goes to a black screen when connected to mains electric

MartinG
MartinG Member Posts: 10 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
  • Hi. My laptop when using battery has no issues. When I connect to electricity using original charger, it will go to a black screen after 5 minutes, 30 minutes or an hour or more - totally random. I have to a forced shut down and restart which means any unsaved work is lost. I have returned the laptop to the shop I bought it from, but they cannot replicate the problem?? Help!!

Answers

• Hi,
    So it's working normally at the shop, if so, try different plug point and see whether it makes any difference or try it in a relatives' /friend's place to rule out the fault at your home.
  • MartinG
    Thanks brummyfan. I have tried several sockets and also using "surge protector" which I have on my PC. 
  • No problem, you may have to send it for a service, please contact Acer support centre in your region.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • MartinG
    Brummyfan. The workshop have just completed diagnostics and deep diagnostics and nothing flagged up? I have read on Google, there are plenty of others with similar problems and I was hoping to get a "fix" on this community page rather than a random user on google? I wonder if a service is the answer? Thanks!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    The big difference between your setup and at the workshop is what the power is plugged into. Try taking the laptop and power supply somewhere else (library or coffee shop maybe?) and see if you can cause the issue elsewhere.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MartinG
    Thanks Billsey, I'll do that. I have seen via Google that I am not the only one with this issue. I'm trying to get a "fix" from a trusted person on here rather than an unknown posting on Google. 
  • MartinG
    Hi Billsey. I've been to London since your post and used their electricity! I was working on my laptop, plugged into mains, and the Black Screen appeared twice within an hour. Each time I have to do a forced switch off, restart and log in again. I can't find a "fix" via google and I was hoping someone on the Acer community could help? Any ideas? Thanks!
  • MartinG
    Hi Brummyfan2
    I've been to London since your post and used their electricity! I was working on my laptop, plugged into mains, and the Black Screen appeared twice within an hour. Each time I have to do a forced switch off, restart and log in again. I can't find a "fix" via google and I was hoping someone on the Acer community could help? Any ideas? Thanks!
  • Hi @MartinG
    Could you please post the model name of the laptop, like E5-XXXX.
  • MartinG
    edited December 2019
    Thanks a lot Brummyfan2. The model is ES1 -523 - 231L
    Aspire ES15
  • No problem, can you check whether there's a pinhole at the bottom cover with a battery icon next to it, if you have it, switch off the laptop, disconnect the AC adapter and follow the instructions in the video, once completed leave the laptop to rest for a while(15-20 Mins), then reconnect the AC adapter and fully charge the laptop.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

• MartinG
    Hi Brummyfan2. Yes, there is a pin hole and I am about to watch the video. I'm not a techie, but I'll do my best to follow instructions!
  • Hi MartinG,
    Slightly push the button with a paper clip without any excessive force and you should be fine.
  • MartinG
    Hi Brummyfan2. All done. I felt the "depress" of the battery reset using the iphone pin which fitted perfect and did the job. I have let the laptop rest, powered up, and connected to the mains. It's just a matter of time to now to see if we have resolved the issue? Hope so!! If not, I'll be back.....
  • MartinG
    Hi Brummyfan2. Unbelievable!! I was just logging on to the lap top and straight away went to the Black Screen. That's the quickest it's ever done it. The problem persists. Aaaaaaagh!!
  • Hi,
    I have run out of ideas but wait for someone else to chime in, otherwise, you may have to send it for a service to Acer Support centre.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/service-contact
  • Cyriix
    Cyriix ACE Posts: 4,665 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019
    Hello MartinG,

i know about a problem with this device, with System hang up or no response while using browsing the webpage and using applications at the same time.
    In my eyes its a hardware failure (i think from CPU) and i send a similar device to Acer last year for one of my customers.
    After a motherboard exchange the problem was fixed.
    So like brummyfan2 I would recommend you to send the device to Acer for a technical check.

br,
    Cyriix