Is it possible to switch on my Acer Swift 1 (SF114-32) without opening the lid?

Edoka
Edoka Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Currently I would like to use it like a mini PC, and I want to attend to it, because maybe later I will give it as a present (eg, for christmas), or simply sell it. I don't want to get crumbs and dust into the keyboard. For this reason I would like to know, how can I switch on, and use the Acer Swift 1 (SF114-32) laptop without opening the lid? Of course I have USB keyboard, mouse, and external monitor with HDMI port. Anyway I am using Arch Linux on it, if it makes any sense.

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi @Edoka,

You can keep the unit turned on when the lid is closed. 
    >> go to settings ->Hardware and sound->power options -> do nothing when led is closed so that the unit wont go off when the led is closed. 

Image result for how to keep the laptop on when lid is closed windows 10

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Edoka

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    I see, but I don't want to open the lid at all:  I would like to turn on the laptop let's say via a keypress, or key combo from a USB keyboard. Or for example by a special device which connects to the USB 3.1 type C port, called docker. Or by a special device which uses the "wake on lan" technology by a USB connected ethernet plug (I have the AX88772B controller device, USB to RJ45 adapter). When I searched the internet I found this funny method too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSsqOQH4LQQ
    :D However I would like to use a regular switcher device.

Switching on at a given time (called RTC wake-up) worked for me, following this post https://www.linux.com/tutorials/wake-linux-rtc-alarm-clock/ However I had to login as root, to apply the commands.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    If you have the do nothing flag set as Christy posted I believe you can just turn it on with the power button without opening the laptop.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Edoka

Tinkerer

Which power button?
  • billsey
    Ah wait, yours has the power button on the keyboard instead of on the side? I'm afraid that's going to mean opening it to start it. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Edoka

Tinkerer

Yes, the power button of the SF114-32 is on its keyboard, in the upper right corner. Is there no tricky method to switch it on / power it on by-passing that button?
  • billsey
    Not that I know of... :(