Compatibility for Acer Aspire E1-522 "Please Help"

Arkanies
Arkanies Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, my step daughter has lover her laptop for several years, it was first her brothers who is now off to Carelton University on a full scholarship for the Aerospace Engineer program, to reward him for all his hard work we got him a new laptop so he passed his old one to his little sister. She loves it and primarily plays light games on it like Roblox, but to be honest it is a little outdated and I was hoping to upgrade for Christmas, that being said I try to be ecologically friendly as possible and I know that electronics are a sort of throw away item for many people mostly because they do not have the skill set to undertake the installation or repair on their own. Although I am not a professional tech, I have upgraded my own laptop components as well as built many a PC in my day, taken apart and repaired cell phones and many other electronic stuff and so I was interested in seeing if I could save money and reduce carbon emissions in my own small way by purchasing a refurbished board and processor for her laptop. Only problem is I can not seem to find compatible chart for this model (maybe it's too old) so I thought to write to the good people here at Acer hoping that someone might be able to give me the info I need to make an informed decision. I can provide pictures if necessary, I am looking to find something that fits with either a good APU processor (maybe an A10) or a processor with dedicated graphics chip, or possibly both. I don't know the different variations that it came in and how I would be able to find that and also ensure it would fit into the old computer body (I plan to clean it and go over it with a fine toothed comb before reassembly) I really appreciate any help that anyone can offer me, it would be an amazing present for her but a brand new laptop is pretty expensive and she enjoys the nostalgia of using her big brothers computer that helped him through highscool....  Thanks in Advance to all those who reply...

Kevin

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,797 Trailblazer
    Not that old. Forget any motherboard changes. Not worth the money or hassle or time to get here before xmas. The CPU is BGA so can't be changed.The absolute biggest and easiest bang for the buck is to replace the 2.5" HDD with an SSD. Increasing to max 8GB DDR3 laptop RAM module should offer a modest additional boost with a matched set of 4GB (dual channel capable). Specs on each improvement can be found at this link https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-e1-522  Micron/Crucial is competitive with almost all alternatives.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Arkanies
    Arkanies Member Posts: 2 New User
    That doesn't answer my question.... I asked about different boards that would fit not your personal opinion of my situation and your estimate of if it would arrive before christmas, but thanks anyways. If there is anyone else can offer assistance it would be appreciated I am looking for boards similar setup that would fit into the body of this one. I have already ordered an SSD and Ram
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,797 Trailblazer
    >>>I have already ordered an SSD and Ram>>>
    Good decision in my opinion.   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,560 Trailblazer
    Arkanies said:
    That doesn't answer my question.... I asked about different boards that would fit not your personal opinion of my situation and your estimate of if it would arrive before christmas, but thanks anyways. If there is anyone else can offer assistance it would be appreciated I am looking for boards similar setup that would fit into the body of this one. I have already ordered an SSD and Ram
    They customize the MB to fit with the chassis on newer laptops, so no chance to change it. Sometimes you can find the same model getting parted out with a different processor, which could allow that small upgrade, but different models will have different form factors for the MB. The E1-522 models came with a slew of different processors so it would depend on which she has as to whether it'd be feasible to swap the motherboard out. Which one does she have?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.