cannot install fedora 31 in new acer aspire 5 a514-52

Options
lombao
lombao Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Just got a new laptop today, an acer aspire 5 a514-52.
I am trying to install the latest fedora with an usb stick. I tested that usb and it works in other laptops/desktops, so the usb is ok
I get the first message/prompt about booting the live fedora , I press enter and I get then a kernel panic
I managed to disabled the Secure Boot, and also I already set the SATA mode to AHCI, but to no avail
BIOS version is v1.07
Any ideas or help ? because at this point I do not know what else I could try

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    Give Fedora 30 a try to see if they just broke the current version.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lombao

Tinkerer

Options
    I've tried FEdora 30. I've created the Live USB with that version... tried... and same exact error
  • lombao

Tinkerer

Options
    Also, I am surprised that this laptop, just new, when enter in the BIOS spins the fan like there is no tomorrow. The fan is really noisy and the system is just in the bios or doing almost nothing
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    if you boot the usb, choose "troubleshooting" then ".............basic graphics mode", does that do anything different?
  • lombao

Tinkerer

Options
    Yep, troubleshooting, I even went into grub console to see if I was lucky. Nope. KErnel panic.
    Another curiosity is that the USB stick in the boot menu appears a "Linpus Lite". I do not know where this comes from, because it is a Fedora workstation. I am trying to understand why the BIOS says it is called "Linpus lite".
  • lombao

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, for those interested. I gave a try to Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS. This time I was able to make the live usb boot. So, it seems that The live USB FEdora 30 and 31 have some sort of problem dealing with the UEFI in the Acer Aspire 5. No idea why.
    It will be interesting to see if i can actually install the Ubuntu
  • lombao

Tinkerer

Options
    Another finding, the Fedora 28 live USB boots up, but then the touchpd does not work
  • lombao

Tinkerer

Options
    I think I am getting close to the real issue. It is the Kernel 5.X series which causes the problems in Fedora. I've installed FEdora 28 ( with the problem of touchpad ) but as soon as I upgrade ( and here comes kernel 5.x ) the kernel panic happens. Ubuntu LTS still uses Kernel 4.X. ALso I've found this reference https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/kernel-5-0-x-has-series-problems-on-my-acer-laptop/178/4 which might provide some clues to what is happening.

• Gawain
    edited November 2019
    Options
    not sure if this exclusion gets overwritten with an upgrade, but might be worth a shot after installing 28 (with the touchpad, might be worth checking in the bios if there is a "basic" mode for it, as it'll be on "advanced" by default and that'll fix the lack of pad to begin with, then assuming the upgrade worked okay, change it back to "advanced")

sudo dnf update --exclude=kernel*

• lombao

Tinkerer

Options
    Problem is that the Acer Aspire 5 a514-52 does not have that setting of advanced or basic in the BIOS settings for the touchpad. I've seen that in other models this could solve the problem.
    I have some problems with ACPI,  I think the "root" of the problems is there but I am not exactly an expert on these matters.
    Today I will try some other things, for instance, test FEdora 27 and see if this works better. Also, I will try again Ubuntu LTS because the live USB booted correctly and the touchpad was working. Perhaps in the grub config of that ubuntu and the output of the lsmod I can see something that gives me a clue.
    The "nuke" option it would be to compile my own kernel, but it is not what I would have expected when I choose this laptop. I am starting to regret my decission.
  • Gawain
    Options
    Now, with the kernel 5 stuff, might be worth booting manjaro gnome as that is also on 5.*, just to see if that panics too!
  • lombao

Tinkerer

Options
    I finally gave up. I tried again the ubuntu lts 18.04.3... and the installation was succesful. I choose the option to install 3rd party drivers (  I have no idea what was installed ) and, the truth is... it works wonderfully. It seems has installed some sort of fimrware as well, I am not sure what was that but the annoyance of the fans has practically dissapeared. I wasn't an ubuntu user until now, but, hey, I actually liked it... so, for me this is end of the story. Fedora doesn't wor with this latop, Ubuntu works wonderfully. I will take it.
    Thank you for your comments
  • SEM2020
    SEM2020 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Lombao - thanks for the update.  Was looking to buy this laptop today solely to run Ubuntu on, but it's not listed as valid hardware on their site.  After finding your thread, I went ahead and bought one.  I'm an Acer fan and $529 for a powerful Ubuntu laptop is hard to beat.  I'll be replacing my MacBPro, Dell Win10, and a Chromebook with this one.  Goal is to simplify life with less devices.  BTW, I've been using Ubuntu for many years, and it's hard to beat the compatability and ease of it's install, and the availability of apps as their community is one of the strongest.  Enjoy!
  • aqhussain
    aqhussain Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    dear team, i buy Laptop Aspire a514-52. and i am trying to install windows7 but the problem is "not showing USB, HDD in side the boot option just only Boot Manager. how can i fix this?