Helios 300 PH315-52-78VL GPU Fan rattle.

Orangekun
Orangekun Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I Just gut my helios 300 just 5 days ago and it is still under replacement warranty. My right fan started to have a bit of a rattling noise like in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s3aNLgqbu0) though mine is not as bad as the one in the vid, but still noticeable. I'm wondering if this would be a valid reason to have my unit replaced?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    The laptop vendor usually replaces the machine or refunds your money if you return the machine as defective within the vendor's returns policy period. Usually less than a month.  ACER warranty service usually fixes the problem but not replace the machine. I suggest that you return the machine to the vendor for an exchange or refund as quickly as possible before vendor's returns policy period expires. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    I suggest to check backlight bleeding also, if it’s minimal or even absent then you are lucky one and replace the fan only 
  • MakeOutHill
    MakeOutHill Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
     i actually found a fix that worked for me without replacing anything, i think the fan come with no lubrication or something that make that bad rattling noise  first you need to remove the fan from its pin after you unscrew the cover  then pull the fan away from the pin its actually connected with just magnets  watch this video  for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewbMYAB0qwM then lubricate the pen with oil or if you have something better i done it with a car engine oil and it works really great  i took a cotton ear swap and dipped it in the oil and lubricated the pen carefull not to get messy and touch also the hole between the magnets with the ear swap try to get the oil in but not much be sensitive and take your time  be carefull when removing the 3D fan because it actually hard to pull this one out not like the CPU one its very easy and try not to damage the fan try to use all your finger to pull it out now put all the things back and try if this fixes any thing and please let me know if it does. and yeah another thing if you look closely you will see (or in my case) a red paint or a red something that was on the fan if you saw somethig like that try to get a razor or a knife and scratch this paint as i think it was doing some uneven weight on the fan when it spin and again try to be carefully and dont damage the fan and i washed the fan with water and soap because its stainless steel I think 🤔 then alcohol ofcourse and let it dry before putting it back together. 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    @MakeOutHill excellent advice but no good if you are under warranty and have a warranty void if removed sticker

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Orangekun
    Orangekun Member Posts: 2 New User
    @MakeOutHill Thanks for the really detailed guide!
    I actually decided not to  get my unit replaced last year, because mine has really really minimal backlight bleed and i don't want to risk getting a replacement unit with really bad backlight bleed, so it's really nice to know that there is a fix to this and without buying a new 3d fan.  My helios is still under service warranty, and I'm looking to bring it in probably next month to get an additional m.2 ssd installed. While at it, I'll try to talk to the tech if they can do this with my fans.