Factory reset of B3-A40 doesn't work properly

skinnyb
skinnyb Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
A few years back my family bought this tablet for my father to use. He has since passed away. Trying to factory reset it to wipe out user data, only partially works. The tablet now requires the original sign in information after wiping the user data. Is there any way to wipe it so I could give this to my son or sell it?

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    you need the original gmail and password, no other legal way to do it.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • skinnyb
    My dad cannot give the original user/password. The factory reset "normally wipes user data, but when going through the setup phase, it detects that it was previously setup and requires the original google account. Normally a factory reset, wipes it all down so it can have a fresh start.

Are you saying that once you buy the tablet it's yours until you die? You cannot sell it or re-purpose it?
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Google enhanced security on android devices, so even if you do a factory reset this doesn't reset the last user account.
    an user can sell o re-purpose a device if he deletes his account before doing a factory reset or giving his credential to the new user.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/what-do-if-youre-locked-out-your-phone-after-resetting-it
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Google likely has a procedure to allow estate executors access to the account of the person who has passed away. From there you can remove the tablet from the account, which frees it up for a different user. You do need access to that account though...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • skinnyb
    The account should be considered lost forever. I'll try to reach out to google, although their support doesn't seem very easy to use and redirects me to the community site here, which makes me wonder who really supports the products that are made :)

I remember when we got it, we looked at price being reasonable so if it were to be "bricked" it's not a major loss. Just hate having so much ewaste.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Yeah, you want to contact Google on their account side, not hardware or software support...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.