chromebook CB3-431 died

Options
928shark
928shark Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Opened my Acer CB3-431... it turned on and appeared to have about 70% battery. Check for OS update and one was available. I let it update and walked away. When I returned 10 minutes later, the chrome book was off. So I press the power button... nothing happened.. tried again and nothing, so I plugged in the charger, still nothing. I noticed there were no lights on next to charge port. This seemed strange as there usually is a light on. I tried all the reset procedures, tested & measured the output of the charger (its OK), nothing worked. Also determined that power is getting to the motherboard. So now I'm stuck. I don't know what to do next. Could it be the battery or the mother board... I don't know. Hopefully someone can help. Thank you.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    You are right in that it could be the battery or motherboard ... or something else. :) First step is to check for a battery reset hole on the back. If it's there go ahead and reset it (instructions here). If not, are you still in warranty? If you are now is the time to contact Acer support to see if they can solve it for you. If you are out of warranty and don't have the reset hole it's likely time to open it up, disconnect the battery then hold the power button down for 30 seconds or so to bleed off any residual power then hook the battery back up and reassemble. Let us know where this takes you and we can go from there if needed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 928shark
    928shark Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi Billsey... thanks for the response. I did the "remove the battery" thing three times to no avail. Its two years this month since purchase, so no more warranty. Sad thing is, I doubt there is ten hours of use on it. I even store it in its original box. Its very strange... it died during an update with about 70% battery power and the power adapter was not plugged in. There is no signs of life at all.. no lights with or without the power adapter plugged in. I tested the adapter with a volt meter and the power jack and the wires from the power jack to the motherboard...all showing voltage...  and still no lights.  I think its headed to the recycling bin.