Installing Ubuntu - splash screen issue BEFORE install Swift 3

AndroidMancave
AndroidMancave Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

I'm on an Acer Swift 3. i7, 8GB RAM about a month old.
Trying to install Ubuntu.
When I get to the install screen - I've disabled secure boot etc, I then press try ubuntu without installing or, install ubuntu.
Then the Ubuntu splash screen scrolls up ferociously with error messages on the left hand side, so quickly that I cannot see them.
The Ubuntu logo holds fast in the centre of the screen.
So, forced to hold the power button and shut down.
I've taken a picture of the screen and it seems to be giving a squashfs error: unable to readpage or fragment. Any clues?
Anyone got any ideas? I'd love to have either a dual boot or just Linux Laptop. Had it running fine on an old Swift 1.

Thanks in advance.
AM

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited November 2019
    is that the Swift 3 that has an intel gpu chip (like the swift 1), or is it the one with the nvidia geoforce graphics chip?
  • AndroidMancave
    edited November 2019
    Intel graphics. 620 UHD. Device drivers are up to date - I have the intel driver and support assistant and it's all been updated.
  • Gawain
    sorry, i should have asked before:  the version of ubuntu, 18.04.3 lts or 19.10?  (if you haven't alreadt, worth giving 19.10 a go as a live boot as kernel will be more current etc - i seem to remember there is a tick box somewhere so that it would update to the next LTS when that gets released anyway if it was installed)
  • AndroidMancave
    Gawain said:
    the version of ubuntu, 18.04.3 lts or 19.10? 
    Gawain, Thanks. I thought that 18.04 would be more stable so was trying that. I'm downloading the 19.10 now and will try that. I'm also going to try Acer for BIOS downloads and make sure that's up to date too. The Acer care app says it is but you never know.
    Thanks for the thoughts. AM.
  • Gawain
    i'm not normally a fan of the "latest", but 19.10 is a lot more efficient than 18 due to the underlying gnome shell to 3.34 (?), and as it's been out for a while, stability shouldn't be an issue.  Fingers crossed!
  • AndroidMancave
    Dude! I'm totally rocking the Ubuntu look now. Worked perfectly. Thanks a lot. Gone for a clean sweep and kicking Microsoft out again. Frustrating issues now with outlook accounts is that I cannot add them to Evolution so that I get calendar pulled across as well - seems to be a common thing but I didn't know. Have had to set up duplicate gmail accounts and forward all mail until I can change all the addresses logged in various places then delete. 1st world problems.... Anyway, thanks a lot man. You did it! AM.