Maximum memory size supported? - Acer A515-54G-50F2 - Model # NX.HNGEG.001 - Intel i5-10210U CPU

HarryKBerlin
HarryKBerlin Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello,
In preparation of purchasing the laptop mentioned above, which will be delivered with 8 GB RAM (see 1. below), I found contradictory information about the maximum memory size supported. The laptop allows the installation of 2 memory modules. While one of them is initially soldered to the main board, the other can be installed via a socket in order to enable a variable memory extension. Technical data sheet, is showing (see):
https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91avG2zf0vS.pdf   

1.    Memory size……………..8 GB DDR4 RAM

2.    Memory equipped….…1x 8 GB DDR4 RAM

3.    Maximum memory…..16 GB DDR4 RAM (16 GB soDIMM)

My interpretation of 2. is, that there is one module of 8 GB installed.
But as I was informed by Acer technical service hotline, the module soldered to the mainboard is a 4 GB version and an equal module is plugged into the socket, which could be replaced by a 16 GB respective 32 GB module. In this case the maximum memory size would either be:

4.    4 GB + 16 GB = 20 GB    or

5.    4 GB + 32 GB = 36 GB  

Both, 4. as well as 5. would lead to more than 16 GB maximum memory size as stated in 3. Regarding the 32 GB module I was told, that this wasn’t tested up to now, but it would be very interesting to know, whether the structure of the system (e.g. width of memory address data bus) would allow to address this size of memory.
Please let me know about the real memory configuration options and what the real maximum memory size is.
Many thanks for your kind support in advance
Harry

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, they get that confused fairly often, the manual isn't as clear as it should be. You have 4GB of memory installed directly on the motherboard and a memory slot that can hold additional memory. The chipset supports modules up to 16GB in size, so a theoretical maximum for the chipset is 32GB, but since the onboard memory is only 4GB you actually max out at 20GB, 4GB + 16GB. You can't use a 32GB memory stick with that chipset, so no chance for a 36GB system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, they get that confused fairly often, the manual isn't as clear as it should be. You have 4GB of memory installed directly on the motherboard and a memory slot that can hold additional memory. The chipset supports modules up to 16GB in size, so a theoretical maximum for the chipset is 32GB, but since the onboard memory is only 4GB you actually max out at 20GB, 4GB + 16GB. You can't use a 32GB memory stick with that chipset, so no chance for a 36GB system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HarryKBerlin
    HarryKBerlin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Many thanks again  :)