Predator P03-600 - Acer Predator Orion 3000: new 2666Mhz ram only operating at 2133Mhz

macman2400
macman2400 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I recently bought some new RAM which is supposed to run at 2666Mhz but it is stuck on 2133Mhz.
I have search through the bios but been unable to find where I can adjust the speed. 
My bios version is R01-B1.
The stock 8Gb chip which came preinstalled definitely operates at 2666Mhz so idk why the new sticks are such a problem!

Answers

• Hi,
    Could you please download and install CPU-z, run it and post the snip of Memory and SPD tabs. There is no Advanced settings to change the memory speed in BIOS.
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
  • macman2400
    Here they are:

• Hi,
    These modules have overclocking feature and when they need more speed, they will run at 2666MHz but they start at 2133MHz, you can see it running at 1333MHz in the XMP-2666 column. I would suggest you to return these modules and get the modules as the original brand, if you want.
    Just for your information, have a look at this Crucial RAM which starts at 2133MHz.
    https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ct2k16g4sfd8266

• macman2400
    I still don't understand why the original Adata RAM runs at 2666 MHz and the new G.Skill Ripjaws V RAM seems to be stuck on 2133 MHz.
    Is the G.Skill RAM not Acer approved? Is there another specific brand I should have chosen? Ideally I want the highest performing, highest frequency and lowest latency RAM that my Predator Orion 3000 will take and make proper use of.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    It looks like you are running a mix of memory, they should at least be paired up with both modules meeting the same spec.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • macman2400
    No, the Adata was the old memory and it was replaced with the G.Skill Ripjaws (2 x 8Gb DIMMs running in dual channel).
    I found out that I need to get memory specifically with SPD speed of 2666MHz since I am unable to select XMP in my BIOS. A lot of DDR4 memory has SPD speed set to 2133MHz with the higher advertised speeds only available for PCs with the overclocking feature included in BIOS.
    Also found out that my Acer PC only officially supports memory made by Micron, and more searching to discover than Micron is actually represented by Crucial and Ballistix.
    I have learnt a lot about memory the hard way over the last few days and I hope my experience helps others with the same problems trying to purchase basic memory upgrades for their PCs.  :/
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    And yet your posted results show the G.SKILL running almost twice as fast as the Adata, I assume through the double data rate inherent in dual channel...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • macman2400
    Yes, the dual channel makes a big difference!