Acer Chromebook....USB Drive not seen in Files window

Rudiek
Rudiek Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a Acer Chromebook ...with Google Chrome OS = Version 78.0.3904.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Everyday the Files Window (or Explorer Window) forgets i have a little USB Jump Drive plugged in....and i cant figure out a way to "Refresh" the Explorer view.

For some reason the OS keeps erasing my USB Drive from the "Files window".  Then when i go to unplug the Drive i get a message that says "Slow down Buckeroo" you might damage or corrupt your files if you keep doing that......Better to Eject the drive before you unplug it. Problem is its not recognized ...I dont see it...it doesnt show up in the Files window. This usually happens when the CB sits for maybe 15-30 minutes. The only way to avoid this ...is to completely shut down....kinda a pain in the *****...cause i DONT want to Corrupt my Files. 

Any help will be appreciated.....thanx
Ron 

Answers

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @Rudiek

Plugged the drive back into the Windows machine, and received a prompt asking if I wanted to "automatically fix file system errors."  I clicked yes.  

After putting the drive back into the chromebook, I could again open the folders and access the individual files.  I still can't find all of the files that were not part of the folders, but it does appear that the problem lies with the drive, and not the chromebook.

"hit accept if its helpful"

• Rudiek
    Rudiek Member Posts: 2 New User
    No not quite the problem.....there is no problem seeing any of the files.....what happens is that the Chromebook quits seeing the USB drive altogether after an extend period of time when it sits idle....the Drive is fine once i unplug it or shut down and re-boot.
    2nd problem is that sometimes when it disappears and i just unplug it ... i get the message that i should Eject the Drive....but again....how do i Eject the Drive if i cant see it or it doesnt appear in the Files Window....I'm not aware of a Shortcut Key to Eject or something of that nature.
    3rd....I should have pointed out in my original message that the Chromebook stays plugged in almost 24-7....I have it laying on my bed....I dont watch or have a TV ....so i use the CB for everything ....answer email... Utube.... surfing.... ect ect.
    4th....is there any way to tell the Chromebook to "Re-Scan" for drives ??? without unplugging the drive or shutting down