Upgraded to SSD with Windows 10 on Predator G5910 and computer cannot be shut down properly

skzm_90
skzm_90 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I can't find a manual regarding the motherboard itself. I bought a new SSD and did a fresh installation of Windows 10 on it, and everything is working fine except that it cannot shut down—it will look like it shuts down fine, but only the display and keyboard/mouse stop getting input; the fans (case fans, CPU, GPU) and power light continue to run and the only thing I can do is force shutdown by holding down power button for a few seconds (keyboard/mouse/pressing power button once do nothing so it's not some Sleep/Hibernate mode). I've checked all hardware (besides the SSD itself which I cannot unplug since it's now the boot drive).

I noticed that there are 2 blue SATA ports and 4 black SATA ports, but what exactly are the specs on those? To be clear, I have tried plugging the SSD to both a blue and a black port but it didn't make any difference. The P67 chipset's specifications suggest a maximum of 4 SATA 2.0 ports and 2 SATA 3.0 ports, so I'm assuming the two blue ones are the SATA 3.0 ports (I left the SSD plugged in a blue port for now). I also checked Crucial's site and it suggested that there's no problem in using a SATA SSD (my SSD is Kingston and not Crucial though).

I did extensive searching and this seems like a common problem, but for all sorts of reasons so it's hard to narrow down.

What I've already tried:
  1. Disabling Fast Startup in Power Options
  2. Enabling/disabling Hibernation (it was disabled by default)
  3. Checked for available Intel driver updates using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant (none available)
  4. The typical Windows rep prompts: sfc /scannow, running Troubleshooter, etc.
  5. shutdown commands as a sort of workaround but they don't work either.
  6. Resetting CMOS, didn't work.
  7. Disconnecting the HDDs and leaving the SSD as the only drive (writing out the HDDs as culprits).
  8. Updating BIOS.
  9. Unplugging all USB devices when shutting down (writing out USB devices as culprits).
  10. Switched SSD from black SATA port to blue SATA port, assuming that's the SATA 3.0 port. Didn't help but I'm guessing it improved performance at the very least.
  11. Disabling/uninstalling/updating Intel MEI driver. Can't rollback because I was already using the oldest available for my chipset. Updated from here.
  12. Switching SATA mode from RAID to AHCI.

Best Answer

• skzm_90
    Answer ✓
    Update: Tried almost everything possible (including a fresh installation of Windows 10 all over again) and it's still not working.

My conclusion is that the chipset is simply too old so I'll probably have to stick to 8.1 or change my motherboard, CPU and RAM (considering the socket and DDR3 board...) to get it to work.

Answers

• skzm_90
    Answer ✓
    Update: Tried almost everything possible (including a fresh installation of Windows 10 all over again) and it's still not working.

My conclusion is that the chipset is simply too old so I'll probably have to stick to 8.1 or change my motherboard, CPU and RAM (considering the socket and DDR3 board...) to get it to work.