Iconia One B1-780 dropping wifi connection after system update

dvd12345
dvd12345 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Hi,
I own a B1-780 since about 2 years and few weeks ago I did a factory reset, after receiving some system updates the wifi connection drops randomly after 10-20 minutes or so and the only way to make it work again is to turn off the tablet wifi and turn it back on after a few seconds (same behavior with different connections in different places).

Since I got the tablet, as I usually do, I disabled/removed all the apps I do not need (all the stuff from google except maps and play store related things and a bunch more form acer) and disabled all the automatic updates butafter the factory reset I forgot to disable the automatic system updates and something has been installed.
I have no idea what are the changes included in this update with the exception of having a more recent version of google maps and the issue with the wifi.
Before the reset everything was working fine
I did not restore anything form a backup, just reinstalled the few applications I use.

How to diagnose/fix the wifi issue and/or revert this update?

Here the screenshot of the 'about tablet' page, in case it helps

Answers

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @dvd12345
    1. Try and restart the tablet. Sometimes it is that simple.

2. Update the firmware and any apps that need updating on the tablet.

3. If the problem persists, check your time and date on the tablet to make sure it is correct.

4. Should none of the former work...
    a. Clear out the WiFi data on the tablet.
    b. Reboot the modem/router.
    c. Once the modem/router is fully 'up' again, reboot the tablet and re-input the WiFi data.

5. Now, if you are still having the problem at this point, and you are sure it isn't the modem/router that is the problem. Then you may wish to try a "Hard Reset" of the device. However, I really suggest saving this as a last option (or last before parts repair/replacement).

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your tablet, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the tablet...

1. Make sure that the tablet is actually powered off.

2. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

3. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

4. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

5. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

6. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

7. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the tablet.

"Hit Accept if its Helpful"
  • dvd12345
    Hi Tom, thanks for the sugegstions

The tablet is regularly restarted, makes no difference;
    I've tried already to restart wifi router and delete the wifi data but it doesn't help, the problem happens with all wi-fi connections.
    The tablet has all the available system updates installed (unfortunately), not sure what 'firmware update' you are referring to.
    The only apps that have pending updates are gmaps (latest version is borderline useless, so i stick with what i have), youtube and few other apps I added and will not be updated, same as for all the google junk that i disabled: these have nothing to do with the wifi.

About the hard-reset: is it any different form the 'factory reset'?
    As i said my tablet has been wiped clean few weeks ago.

I was wondering if using the image OS_Acer_RV05RC01.WW.GEN1_A60M_A.zip available in the downloads would bring back everything as it was before the automatic update; unfortunately I'm not aware of any reliable custom image (eg. lineageOS) for the B1-780, so seems the one provided by acer is the only option.

• dvd12345
    edited December 2019
    I tried to do the "factory reset" from the "system recovery" menu, hoping that doing it after the unwanted update could fix the problem but unfortunately no difference.

In addition now it's not even possible to set up a tablet without connecting it to the wifi, what an improvement.
    It's impossible to contact Acer in any way after something is out of warranty, but regardless of the warranty status for them is perfectly fine to screw things up and install their junk without warning. WTH!?

Does anybody know if the procedure to re-image the tablet is reliable and the image available in the download area is to be trusted? 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    The procedure to reimage using the OS load from the Acer service site seems to work fairly well for most people. You download the image as a zip file and place it in the root of a blank SD card formatted FAT32 and then use the recovery menu to install that zip. It will replace the existing image with the stock factory build and put you at the initial 'setup a new tablet' point. Note that a few of the images they have on the site were an "update.zip" file inside the downloaded zip, and in those cases you unzip the downloaded image and copy the "update.zip" file to the SD.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.