Upgrades for helios 300 2019

Baptist77
Baptist77 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi I'm new here so sorry if this has been asked before I've recently purchased helios 300 so far I've added a 2tb 970 evo in to 2nd nvme slot how easy is it to change the 1 in 1st slot to same and will it function ok and also ram I have 16gb but want upgrade to 32gb ive seen conflicting stuff saying ddr4 3200 is supported and some saying it isn't and I wouldn't get full speed is this correct ram ive looked at is hyperx 3200 and also what is meant by bios is locked from what I understand my bios maybe locked is it limited options or you cant change anything 

Best Answer

• belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    Yes you can run memory at 3200 after unlocking the bios but in my case it runs fine everywhere in normal apps but fails under a stress load cpu+gpu, maybe it’s required to adjust timings or voltages 
    At 3000 it runs fine
    Without unlocking your 3200 memory will still run ok but at 2666 only so it can be good purchase in sense of future proof in case you decide to use it in next gen laptops or Acer decides to unlock xmp in next bios updates (never)

As for 970 evo it runs fine and it’s better to use Samsung drivers not windows‘ for even better performance 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    What helios 300 model do you have? PH31x-xx? G3-xxx? In some models, one m.2 is nvme capable the other m.2 is only sata3 capable. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Baptist77
    Baptist77 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi thanks for the reply PH315-52 I currently have the standard m.2 drive in 1 slot and the 970 evo in the other I tested the 970 evo and apears to run at correct speed
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    Specs suggest both m.2 sockets are the same on the same side of the mainboard. But double-check that the the socket has a single key like the socket you put the 970 in. As for the DDR4 sodimms, anything 2400MHz or faster should work but will be limited to 2400MHz bus interactions with the CPU. Looks like you can go to 64GB if you can find AND afford two 32GB sodimms.   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• belik
    belik Member Posts: 397 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    Yes you can run memory at 3200 after unlocking the bios but in my case it runs fine everywhere in normal apps but fails under a stress load cpu+gpu, maybe it’s required to adjust timings or voltages 
    At 3000 it runs fine
    Without unlocking your 3200 memory will still run ok but at 2666 only so it can be good purchase in sense of future proof in case you decide to use it in next gen laptops or Acer decides to unlock xmp in next bios updates (never)

As for 970 evo it runs fine and it’s better to use Samsung drivers not windows‘ for even better performance