Acer Nitro AN515-52-5547 - Ram size, processor capability

AAyRain
AAyRain Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all, I have the nitro an515-52, I just went to add 16gb to make it 24gb ram, to find that it has 2x4gb meaning I can only make it 20gb, but can I add 16gb n a 4gb to the same system?
What is the max mhz I can add with an i5 8th gen processor? 
Please and Thank you in advance 

@egydiocoelho thanks also for the advice on making a new post (:

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,297 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    Please remove the 4gb card you are forcing your laptop to run in 20gb single channel which is slower than 16gb Dual Channel. The second pic below shows you what you can safely put in the slots and what is officially supported, nowhere do you see 4gb in one slot and 16gb in the other, it is JUST NOT TO BE DONE, nowhere do you see the combination you are trying to use. Either evenly matched cards in each slot or a 4, 8, or 16gb in one slot and the other slot to remain empty. You will only achieve Dual channel if you do as the chart below says. Your only option to go higher than the 16gb is to buy another 16gb for the empty slot, the 4gb stick is useless and is forcing your 16gb stick to run at nearly half it's potential speed. So my friend please listen, either 16gb or 2 x 16gb (32gb) but ABSOLUTELY no 20gb or 24gb is supported, it will run, but way slower than 16gb alone. I hope I have explained this in a way that you finally understand

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• Hi! Can you enter the exact model of your laptop? Example an515-51-75kz.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AAyRain

Tinkerer

Hi! Can you enter the exact model of your laptop? Example an515-51-75kz.
    It says an515-52-5547
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,297 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AAyRain

Tinkerer

So my max is 2666mhz
    I've put in a 16gb 2400mhz with a 2666mhz 4gb and my laptop has processed that OK
    But I was under the impression that it was a 8gb with an empty slot? Was it meant to be a 2x4gb or the 1x8gb?

Thank you @egydiocoelho
  • I don't know if this model came with a 1x8gb or 2x4gb. Was there only one ram installed in the slot?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• andylb
    edited November 2019
    Yes you can add it but it is incorrect and does not meet the official Acer pairing specs. Using unevenly matched RAM limits potential, unless RAM is evenly paired it will only operate in single channel using the slowest if the two CL ratings. 2 x 8gb matching operating dual channel will be faster than 20gb mismatched. So adding 16gb is not correct. If you look at the memory combinations in the post above it is not supported

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• AAyRain

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    Using unevenly matched RAM limits potential, unless RAM is evenly paired it will only operate in single channel using the slowest if the two CL ratings. 2 x 8gb matching operating dual channel will be faster than 24gb mismatched
    Do you mean that it will use the 2400mhz over the 2666mhz? 
  • AAyRain

Tinkerer

I don't know if this model came with a 1x8gb or 2x4gb. Was there only one ram installed in the slot?
    Both slots fill with a 4gb ram card in each, was just disappointing to see I could only get it to 20gb rather than 24gb 
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    20gb is not good. look at the RAM slot combinations in the pic above. 4 + 16gb is not supported. Buy 2 x 8gb and it would be faster than 29gb because of dual channel even pairing. If you go with 20gb you have wasted your money 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Ideally, you get two memories with the same characteristics. As andylb said, look at this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• andylb
    Ideally, you get two memories with the same characteristics. As andylb said, look at this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

Yes my friend your right, 29gb will work but single channel at the low CAS of the 4gb. He would be better taking out the 4gb and just using the single 16 GB stick. It would be faster than the messed up 29gb combo

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• AAyRain

Tinkerer

OK, I've taken out the 4gb it's just using the 16gb now, would I be better off with 2666mhz as it's the same price, but what is the difference between the 2666mhz n the 2400mhz?

andylb said:
    Ideally, you get two memories with the same characteristics. As andylb said, look at this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

Yes my friend your right, 29gb will work but single channel at the low CAS of the 4gb. He would be better taking out the 4gb and just using the single 16 GB stick. It would be faster than the messed up 29gb combo

• AAyRain

Tinkerer

Thank you for the help, the 2666mhz is the 4gb sized ram card
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    Yes go with the 2666mhz Single Rank. Better a single 16mhz than 2 x 8, that way you can upgrade later to 32mhz buy buying another 16

Please click YES if I have helped answer your question, thankyou

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• AAyRain

Tinkerer

So my max is 2666mhz
    I've put in a 16gb 2400mhz with a 2666mhz 4gb and my laptop has processed that OK
    But I was under the impression that it was a 8gb with an empty slot? Was it meant to be a 2x4gb or the 1x8gb?
  • andylb
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    Please remove the 4gb card you are forcing your laptop to run in 20gb single channel which is slower than 16gb Dual Channel. The second pic below shows you what you can safely put in the slots and what is officially supported, nowhere do you see 4gb in one slot and 16gb in the other, it is JUST NOT TO BE DONE, nowhere do you see the combination you are trying to use. Either evenly matched cards in each slot or a 4, 8, or 16gb in one slot and the other slot to remain empty. You will only achieve Dual channel if you do as the chart below says. Your only option to go higher than the 16gb is to buy another 16gb for the empty slot, the 4gb stick is useless and is forcing your 16gb stick to run at nearly half it's potential speed. So my friend please listen, either 16gb or 2 x 16gb (32gb) but ABSOLUTELY no 20gb or 24gb is supported, it will run, but way slower than 16gb alone. I hope I have explained this in a way that you finally understand

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    @AAyRain

It's totally fine if you want to run 4GB and 16 GB together.  You won't get optimal ram performance, but again, it's fine to run 4 + 16 ram.  

With that combination, you'll have 8 GB running in dual channel....and the remaining 12 GB running in single channel (assuming you purchase compatible ram).....which is fine.

As you can see from the link below, you can have different capacity in slots.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14244698

It would have been better if you would have bought 2666, but you'll be fine.

Here's some compatible ram in link below.

https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?model=98315&deviceType=3&mfr=ACE&line=Aspire

I'm not an Acer employee.