Aspire A515-51G-84SN. Need to confirm if new battery needed.

EVBOCT1965
EVBOCT1965 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Aspire A515-51G-84SN.

It will only power on with the charger plugged in. When it is powered on the power icon shows plugged in and 0% for battery charge. Also shows 2 blue LED's by the charge plug when powered on and plugged in and 1 blue LED  when powered off and plugged in. I have done the battery reset button procedure on the back side and I have uninstalled the battery driver and restarted. Neither of these procedures have made a difference. I did download HWManager to see what it has to show. See below.

This is what it shows when the charger is plugged in.

This is what it shows with the charger unplugged. (It runs for a few minutes unplugged before it dies)

So does this sound or look like it needs a new battery or is there somethings else happening here?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    It could be the battery, how old is the machine? It's also possibly the battery calibration, what does Windows report as battery level, always 0%? Usually the battery reset you performed with the reset hole in the back, clears up calibration problems, at least enough to allow the normal charge/discharge cycles to recalibrate.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tonidiaz
    tonidiaz Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I have been having a similar problem with my son's laptop. The battery seems ok and charged but still does not provide power to the laptop. This is what I did and solved the problem: I opened the back cover from the laptop, (make sure you remove the hard disk before because depending on your model the data strip will not allow you to remove the cover). Then look for the cables connecting the battery to the motherboard, use a magnifying glass or the camera  from your phone because the connectors are very small. Check on one connector that has a lot of cables with different colors and make sure is fully seated. Believe it or not this connectors tend to go loose with time. If you can, re-seat all the connectors from the battery to the motherboard. This solved my problem. I hope this helps you all.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓

Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EVBOCT1965
    EVBOCT1965 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Here is the screen shot from the report. And looking through the rest of it there is no usage history past 10/28/2019 so that would suggest the day it stopped working. Looks like I have a warranty repair to deal with now. Thank you for your help in confirming this.

• JackE
    Yes, sorta confirms your first report. 100% worn down. Has no capacity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ