Aspire E15-575 N16Q2 randomly goes from charging to not charging

MaxMadCal
MaxMadCal Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, I am having trouble with my Aspire laptop. When it is plugged in it will sometimes make a beep, and the battery icon on the screen will go from charging to not charging. This will usually go on a few times as I unplug it and plug it back in, and I've had it go back and forth like this and in the middle of charging and not charging my computer would suddenly die. 

I looked around at some of the suggestions on this forum, specifically the ones by egydiocoelho, JackE, and MaClane, and have deleted the ACPI Compliant Control driver, turned off fast startup, reset the battery, taped down the button on the motherboard near the hard drive and ram that supposedly has to be pressed down in order to prevent random dying, unplugged/plugged back in the connections to the motherboard for the battery and the charging port, and bought a new charging cable. 

As I wrote this post I was able to be on battery without the charger and keep several chrome tabs open while also playing youtube and my computer didnt suddenly die while draining down to 20% battery, so hopefully some of those things I tried were able to fix it dying at random?
Nonetheless I still have the problem of it going from charging to not charging randomly and would appreciate any help you can offer. 

*edit* apparently I also had counter strike running in the background while on battery which I hope is good to have been able to run so much 

Edited to hide personal information
[ Acer-Samuel ]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Where do you have the charger plugged in? The the wall, a surge arrester or a UPS? Some chargers really don't like the latter two, so try the first (directly into the wall) to see if it helps.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MaxMadCal
    @billsey I have had it both plugged in the wall and plugged in to a power strip, and that has not made a difference. It seems to have something to with the position of the charger in the port? Because when I wiggle it a little after it says it is unplugged and it will begin charging again.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    That's always possible... The port is essentially a hole with a pin in the middle and a spring on the side to push the plug to the side. That gives the outside of the plug a solid connection to the inside of the hole and the inside of the plug a solid connection to the pin. I've seen issues with third party power supplies where the center hole in the plug was a bit too wide so the spring didn't push over enough and it made poor contact with the pin. Twisting it a little sideways gave enough to get it to work. Similarly I've seen instances where the spring is getting worn and it doesn't push the plug enough to make good contact. In the first case the solution was to get the correct power supply, so everything is the right size, in the second it usually means a trip to the repair depot to get the power socket replaced.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MaxMadCal
    @billsey thanks for the advice, it's most likely something having to do with the pin or spring then like you said. I guess next I'll look in to having the power socket replaced.