Acer Travelmate 5740 Windows 10 compatibility

Options
richardpohl
richardpohl Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi everyone,
I have Acer Travelmate 5740-332G32Mn and I would like to try to upgrade to Win 10 64bit after the Win7 support ends. Does anybody have experience with this? Should I expect any issues? What about the drivers?
Thanks for any suggestion,
Richard

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I haven't tested it myself but it's likely to work. Remember that you can usually reverse the upgrade within the first couple of week if something doesn't work right. For that matter you can do a system backup and create a recovery disk before starting the upgrade. Let us know how well it works.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I haven't tested it myself but it's likely to work. Remember that you can usually reverse the upgrade within the first couple of week if something doesn't work right. For that matter you can do a system backup and create a recovery disk before starting the upgrade. Let us know how well it works.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • richardpohl

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, I am just testing the upgrade. Everything seems to be working, but the webcam image is all upside down... any suggestions? ALi 1.3 M WebCam. Driver is 2.103.13.11 version from 2010
  • richardpohl

Tinkerer

Options
    Update - was able to solve it by finding another driver online... I searched the hardware ID and found Alcor 2.22.25.4 driver from 2012.
  • richardpohl

Tinkerer

Options
    Apart from that, the laptop is running just a tad slower than with Win7. Office 365 no problems, anything more complicated than this I do not plan to use. I have 8 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD inside the machine (and my model have Intel graphics). Thanks for supporting me with the upgrade, it was a right decision in the end.
  • billsey
    Options
    Great! I can't think of anything off hand that you could to increase performance with the latest W10, they just assume the machine is liable to be a bunch faster at the base than one designed for W7. Keep your app use to a minimum and watch for ones that stick around in the background, especially things like anti-virus or automatic backup. I typically suggest using Windows Defender for the first and do the second overnight.