My Aspire A515-54-731N doesn't have any boot options in BIOS

AdrianMarina
AdrianMarina Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello! I bought a brand new Acer A515-54-731N and i tried to install Windows 10 Pro. I have a 32 gb memory flash (stick). I made the windows bootable with the Rufus app on another laptop. I got into BIOS to select de booting order and there are no options, but the motherboard seems to "see" the ssd I have installed in the first section in BIOS. What should I do ? 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Which boot type did you choose in rufus? You might have to disable secure boot in the BIOS to boot from a flash drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AdrianMarina
    billsey said:
    Which boot type did you choose in rufus? You might have to disable secure boot in the BIOS to boot from a flash drive.
    I used GPT and I did disabled secure boot. The thing is on the information page ( first page ) in BIOS the SSD ( NVME M.2 500 GB Kingston) is visible on HDD port 1 and has its name and serial number, but when I go to BOOT section there is nothing, empty, no options to choose from. I thought that the flash my not get power, but it's not the case, the built in LED is flashing. Also I tried with two identical flash units. 
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    in the bios, there is an F12 bootable device option.  Enable it (you might need to set an admin/supervisor password if it's greyed out).  Save and exit with the usb stick plugged in, then as soon as the screen goes blank, tap away on the f12 key.  Should get a menu of bootable devices and if the usb is bootable, that'll  be listed.  Select it and away you go.
  • AdrianMarina
    Gawain said:
    in the bios, there is an F12 bootable device option.  Enable it (you might need to set an admin/supervisor password if it's greyed out).  Save and exit with the usb stick plugged in, then as soon as the screen goes blank, tap away on the f12 key.  Should get a menu of bootable devices and if the usb is bootable, that'll  be listed.  Select it and away you go.
    Did those steps already. When I press F12, there are no options to BOOT to choose from. 
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    I take it you mean you only see the hdd to boot from?  if thats the case and secure boot is disabled, then it can only be one of two things:  the usb doesn't have a bootable image or the usb drive isn't bootable itself (usb sticks can be odd on occasions...).  I'm guessing you've tried it in other usb ports to boot from?  If so, try rewriting it (i've beening use this recently and it works a treat:  https://www.balena.io/etcher/ ), and failing that, try a different usb stick.  If all that fails, i'm out of ideas for the moment.