Aspire 9810 - powering up without battery

spkdd
spkdd Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Can the Aspire 9810 be powered up without its battery present?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    It should. Doesn't hurt anything to try. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• spkdd
    Well, that the problem, it won't. And that's why I'm asking. Trying to troubleshoot and I know it gets power but I have no good battery and the power doesn't enable to the main board. It won't send power to the battery pack to charge it either, so I'm asking if it's normal behavior.
    If this is normal behavior, that changes things, but I need to know for sure.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    >>>I need to know for sure. >>>

Not normal. But nothing is 100% sure. All that can be said is that is should start without a battery. But not 100% guaranteed. For less than $40 usd, you  can get a new replacement battery and charger. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• spkdd
    I rigged a regular SMPS, adjusted to the required 19V so it's properly powered, but I don't have a battery and won't be buying one if I can't be sure I can get that thing to work again. So I'm trying to find out what the "normal" behavior is supposed to be, so I can troubleshoot better.
    I found the schematics but there is nothing to indicated how it's supposed to behave.
    So far, I can see it's not sending any power towards the battery, which isn't there, and it's also not sending the main power (5V and others) to the main board, so it's refusing to power up. If its normal behavior is to not power up without a battery, that's quite different.
    Is there a site/forum somewhere with potentially adequate info? This forum seems only for users but not technicians, so I suppose I can't expect anything deep enough here.