Predator triton 500 coil whine and flimsy touchpad?

Options
currybaguette
currybaguette Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey, I just purchased the triton 500 RTX2060 couple of weeks back and I noticed that there is some kind of whirring noise coming from the motherboard. Happens mainly when the fans are disabled. I heard that this is common and normal in this laptop, is it true? 
Additionally, the touchpad seems to be a bit shaky or loose towards the bottom side, is this normal too? I can still exchange the device, but I'd rather not if this is how every triton 500 is.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you report a video of the problems and also post the exact model? Example V3-571-6682. Also, how much time do you have left to change the notebook?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Citrouille
    Citrouille Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hello, I might partially answer your questions. I own a Triton 500 rtx 2060 (PT515-51-76Q8). I've had that coil sound also, it was very light and only happened once in a while. But I noticed I was hearing it after booting or out of sleep.
    About the touchpad, I noticed the looseness too. There was also noise prior clicking.
    Hope it will help you.
  • currybaguette

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey the model number is Predator PT515-51, it's an RTX 2060 model. The noise is quite obvious when the device is running, especially when the fans are turned off. Sounds exactly like an old fax machine. I am not able to post the video here, for some reason it's says that my file format is not compatible. I have a week left to send it back. egydiocoelho said:
    Can you report a video of the problems and also post the exact model? Example V3-571-6682. Also, how much time do you have left to change the notebook?

• currybaguette

Tinkerer

Options
    This is exactly what I am dealing with. The touchpad is still bearable, but the noise keeps getting under my nerves. Thanks a ton for your answer, man. This looks like a normal issue with this device. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can record the video and post on youtube. Then copy and paste the smaller link here in the community. However, other users have reported that fan noise is normal. About the touchpad slack, I don't know if it's a problem or not.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • currybaguette

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes, but as I said, it is prominent when the fans are off. It sounds like an old fax machine, especially right after the boot sequence.egydiocoelho said:
    You can record the video and post on youtube. Then copy and paste the smaller link here in the community. However, other users have reported that fan noise is normal. About the touchpad slack, I don't know if it's a problem or not.

It is coming from the motherboard. Here is the link to the video, thanks for your quick replies though! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=genz4d87Qlo 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,767 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Yes, I could hear something when the fans are at 0rpm. However, even though the predator sense shows that fans are at 0rpm when you slow down in custom mode, I still think fans are not fully disabled. I will ask other colleagues for help (@JackE, @Red-Sand, @xapim and @billsey). Can you also tell if the noise remains after resetting the battery?
    About the touchpad, I have the impression that this noise is not normal.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• currybaguette

Tinkerer

Options
    I actually opened the back cover to see if it was coming from the Fans. However, it was present even when the fans were completely idle. The noise is certainly coming from the motherboard, 90% sure that it is from the backside of the board. I didn't want to remove it, looked a bit overwhelming in the videos. egydiocoelho said:
    Yes, I could hear something when the fans are at 0rpm. However, even though the predator sense shows that fans are at 0rpm when you slow down in custom mode, I still think fans are not fully disabled. I will ask other colleagues for help (@JackE, @Red-Sand, @xapim and @billsey). Can you also tell if the noise remains after resetting the battery?
    About the touchpad, I have the impression that this noise is not normal.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    This is the back of the motherboard:

Have you checked if the noise occurs after battery reset? How many days do you have left to exchange your laptop with your reseller?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Citrouille
    Options
    Yes, but as I said, it is prominent when the fans are off. It sounds like an old fax machine, especially right after the boot sequence.egydiocoelho said:

It is coming from the motherboard. Here is the link to the video, thanks for your quick replies though! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=genz4d87Qlo 
    I've listened to your video, the "coil" sound was the same as mine, but I would say yours is louder. Also it was still hearable after the battery reset (I myself had to deal with an issue with my triton). However your touchpad is worse than mine clearly.
  • currybaguette

Tinkerer

Options
    I have 8 days left to return the device. The sound seems to be coming from the other side (front side). I suspect it is from the graphics card, but I am no pro here. I will reset the battery in a bit and get back to you, should be back from work in a bit. Thanks again!
  • currybaguette

Tinkerer

Options
    @Citrouille Did you get it fixed eventually or does it still do that thing? Thanks for the help! 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does this noise manifest itself when you use the notebook on battery power only?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Citrouille
    Options
    @Citrouille Did you get it fixed eventually or does it still do that thing? Thanks for the help! 
    Mine was 3 weeks old, but I sent it back to Acer for another issue. ATM I don't have it. But I could hear the noise just before sending back. I thought it was normal because it was very low. It was happening whatever I was plugged or not. And reinstalling windows twice didn't "fix" it. 
  • currybaguette

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho It is there almost all the time. Powered or on battery.
    @Citrouille Ah! Mind sharing what the issue was? Are you going to get it exchanged or are you going to buy a different laptop?
  • Citrouille
    Options
    @Citrouille Ah! Mind sharing what the issue was? Are you going to get it exchanged or are you going to buy a different laptop?
    It was rebooting randomly by itself. Black screen followed by a restart. You can find on my profil the topic I made about it.
    Acer sent me an email yesterday saying they "repaired" it. I should get my triton back monday or tuesday. But I actually don't know if it's a new one or not.
    I also don't plan to buy a different laptop for the moment. I really like the battery life and the screen though I wish the touchpad and the speakers were better.
  • currybaguette

Tinkerer

Options
    I just received the replacement device. The noise has reduced and the touchpad is less wobbly. However, it is a bit uneven with one side a little bit sunken. I suppose there is a way to fix this, yea? 
  • beersky
    beersky Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I just received the replacement device. The noise has reduced and the touchpad is less wobbly. However, it is a bit uneven with one side a little bit sunken. I suppose there is a way to fix this, yea? 
    Thanks for posting the video https://youtu.be/genz4d87Qlo?t=29
    Mine has exactly the same issue. Did you find any way to fix it? I bought the laptop at a good price, local shop did a $500 discount on them. I am very happy with it but the touchpad rattling is annoying. Actually the touchpad is quite good in terms of responsiveness, it's precise, registers the touches well but it seems that there is like 1mm gap between the touchpad and some buttons beneath it. Maybe we can just put a little glue under the touch plate?
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    beersky said:
    Thanks for posting the video https://youtu.be/genz4d87Qlo?t=29
    Mine has exactly the same issue. Did you find any way to fix it? I bought the laptop at a good price, local shop did a $500 discount on them. I am very happy with it but the touchpad rattling is annoying. Actually the touchpad is quite good in terms of responsiveness, it's precise, registers the touches well but it seems that there is like 1mm gap between the touchpad and some buttons beneath it. Maybe we can just put a little glue under the touch plate?
    Either get it replaced with the shop or fixed by Acer Service Center.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • beersky
    beersky Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    XdxD said:
    Either get it replaced with the shop or fixed by Acer Service Center.
    Yes, I'm going to ask for warranty repair.