Nitro AN515-42-R5GT Inconsistent Power Issue

CB29
CB29 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi Everyone.

I have a Nitro AN515-42-R5GT that is used primarily for online gaming. 

First, we had an issue where if the charger was disconnected, there would be no power.  I assumed that the battery was bad, but it was still working with the power cord, so I wasn't worried about it.

Now, we have an issue with the unit not staying powered on.  Before I order a new battery, I wanted to try to confirm that the battery is the issue and not something larger.

This is what happens.  You turn on the computer and the charger light starts blinking orange.  The unit boots up, but as soon as I try to open a program, it's like the power gets cut -- keyboard and screen both go black, and we have to start over.

After several tries, we can get it work as long as we don't move it.  If it has to be moved or unplugged for some reason, we start having the same issue.

Is this a battery, the cable, both, or a bigger issue?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    I can confirm that you have a bad battery, sorry. After charging overnight your battery should have been 100%. The good news is that there is no major system fault and your charger cable is OK.
    Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou 

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    edited November 2019
    First try a battery reset. Unplug and power off, place a straightened paper clip in the small hole on the underside  of the laptop and press for 10 seconds then leave it alone for 15 mins, then plug in and power up. Also if you open your Acer Care center there is a Battery health test along with the memory test etc.. do this and report back please
    Please click YES if I have answered your problem

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• CB29

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    First try a battery reset. Unplug and power off, place a straightened paper clip in the small hole on the underside  of the laptop and press for 10 seconds then leave it alone for 15 mins, then plug in and power up. Also if you open your Acer Care center there is a Battery health test along with the memory test etc.. do this and report back please
    Please click YES if I have answered your problem
    I will try that and let you know.  Thank you.
  • andylb
    If that doesn't work, we can do a process of elimination and it will probably be either the battery or the power cord and nothing major

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• CB29

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    If that doesn't work, we can do a process of elimination and it will probably be either the battery or the power cord and nothing major
    OK, here is what has happened over the last couple of days.

I did what you suggested (though I forgot to unplug) and I got the computer to work the rest of the day.  Acer Care said the battery was 87% charged and the drive was good. Updates were up-to-date.

I had to move the computer at the end of the day.  It remained plugged in all during the day and all night.  The next day, when I tried to fire up the system again, I ran into the same issues as before.  I performed the steps above again (unplugging this time) and ran Acer Care again.  Same results as before - battery good, 87% charged, and drive good.  Computer worked the rest of the day.

I'll add that when the computer was shutting down on its own, the blue light was steady and the orange light was blinking.  Once I performed the troubleshooting steps, the orange light remained steady.
  • andylb
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    I can confirm that you have a bad battery, sorry. After charging overnight your battery should have been 100%. The good news is that there is no major system fault and your charger cable is OK.
    Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★