Windows 10 space to update, external hard drive connected, still won't update Aspire 1

Chris1684
Chris1684 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire 1 (32Gb) laptop and am trying to install the latest Windows 10 update. It says it needs 10Gb more disk space, I have connected an external hard drive via USB (D Drive) with 800Gb spare but it still won't complete the install. Can anyone please help?

Best Answer

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Chris1684 said:
    Thanks for this, Billsey. Unfortunately mine doesn't like a 64Gb SD card either!  I think it's time for a new laptop with bigger memory...
    if it becomes totally impossible to do an update from MS (and it appears that way!), rather than throwing it, have you ever thought about linux?  It would give it a totally new lease of life and would  be faster than at any point with 10 on it...

Answers

• Balu
    Balu Ally Posts: 95

You can temporarily gain extra space by using an external storage device like a USB drive, an SD card, or an external hard drive.

Here’s what you’ll need:

• An external storage device with 10GB or more of free space, depending on how much additional space you need.
    • An internet connection.

Here's how to do it: 

1. Select Start  > Settings  > Update & Security .
    2. From the Windows update page, select Fix issues. This launches the Windows update tool that lets you update your PC using an external storage device.
    3. Before you use an external storage device for updating, make sure you back up any important files. 
    4. Connect your external storage device and select it from the drop-down menu.
    5. Select Next and follow the instructions to finish installing the update.
    6. Once the installation is complete, you can safely remove your external storage device. 

Even after selecting external storage, if you don't have enough free space on your internal drive, you might be prompted to free up more space. 

If you don't want to use external storage, select I don't want to use external storage.

Here’s how to get more storage space on your device’s internal hard drive:

1. Open your Recycle Bin and remove deleted files.
    2. Open your Downloads and delete any files you don’t need.
      • Note: if you don't know how to find your Recycle Bin or your Downloads, search for them in the search box on your taskbar.
    3. If you still need more space, Open your Storage Use.
    4. This will open Settings System > Storage.
    5. Select Temporary Files and delete any files you don’t need.
    6. Return to Windows needs space to update.
    7. Select Refresh.   
    8. If you still see Windows needs space to update, repeat the process or consider deleting unneeded files from other folders. Alternatively, consider moving some files to external storage if you haven't already.
    9. When finished, select Start  Power > Restart.
    Hit "accept" if you like the answer I have given.
  • Chris1684

Tinkerer

Thanks for responding, Balu.  Unfortunately I have tried all this but my problem occurs at step 4 from your first list. I have connected an external hard drive with 800Gb of free space, and at other times a flash drive with 28Gb of free space, both of which show up on the window entitled 'Windows needs space to update'. I click Next and get a window that says 'We can't install the latest Windows 10 ... due to low disk space. Free up some space below and then select refresh', showing only the C Drive. It's as though the system acknowledges that an external storage device has been connected but then doesn't know how to use it!  I have tried it in 2 different USB ports with no difference.

I think what I am wanting to know is how to make my laptop use the free space on the external devices, as well as acknowledge its presence.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,249 Trailblazer
    Normally Windows really wants a SD card for the extra space during the upgrade. They don't like flash drives or external HDDs.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Chris1684

Tinkerer

Thanks for this, Billsey. Unfortunately mine doesn't like a 64Gb SD card either!  I think it's time for a new laptop with bigger memory...
  • Gawain
    Answer ✓
    Chris1684 said:
    if it becomes totally impossible to do an update from MS (and it appears that way!), rather than throwing it, have you ever thought about linux?  It would give it a totally new lease of life and would  be faster than at any point with 10 on it...
  • Chris1684

Tinkerer

Thanks, Gawain. I hadn't thought about Linux but now I shall.  As Windows is close to useless on that laptop (keeps crashing all the time now), I expect I shall uninstall that and install Linux. It can't be any worse!  Thank you for your suggestion.
  • Gawain
    all comes down to what programs you use on it really - if you use ms office (and for whatever reason couldn't use libre office), or use anything adobe photoshop like (there are great photo editors for linux), or game a lot on it, then you might hit a road block.  But you do have a great screen on that one at the price point!   
  • Chris1684

Tinkerer

That shouldn't be a problem for me: mostly email (Thunderbird), viewing (storing if sufficient disk space) photos, but not photoshopping, and libre office, plus malwarebytes.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,249 Trailblazer
    I'm guessing the SD card is formatted NTFS instead of FAT32... Try it with FAT32 instead to see if that helps.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.