Swift 7 2019 desktop has a subtle flicker to it, especially noticeable in gray areas SF714-52T-73CQ

WarFreak131
WarFreak131 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Recently, I've been noticing a subtle flicker on my Acer Swift 7 (2019 version) screen.  I tried uninstalling the display adapter and wiping the system clean of display drivers and starting fresh, but that did not work.  The display is set to 60 Hz in the advanced display settings and I am unable to change the frequency.  I would record it for you to see, but my phones camera is way too crappy to resolve it.

Also, the problem seems to creep up more in dim-colored sections.  If I open up MS Paint, and fill the entire screen with white, I can't really see the problem.  If I fill it with black, the same thing, but if I fill it with gray, the problem jumps out at you.  I have no idea what to do.  I paid good money for this laptop, and I'd hate to have it be dying on me already.

Answers

• WarFreak131

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    Clarification:  To get an idea of what it looks like, imagine setting your display brightness to 100%, then 90%, then 100%, then 90% at about 10-20 Hz.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Which model of Swift 7 do you have? Something like SF7xx-xx-xxxx? I'm guessing you're running into a resonance between your room lighting and the screen refresh...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • WarFreak131

Tinkerer

Hi Billsley.

SF714-52T-73CQ

It's possible, but I don't think it's a resonance issue, because I have had this issue twice as well.

https://youtu.be/sAb9gkvet9A

• billsey
    That looks like a different issue, related to the sensors that determine which direction the system is held. The sensors are working, though they are started with the screen sideways. On my system it only does the rotate when I've got the keyboard disconnected, but that's because I've got a Switch 7, not Swift 7. What is supposed to happen there is that when the computer is held sideways the screen is supposed to be in portrait mode and when you turn it upright it switches to landscape. Obviously it's confused with landscape while sideways and blank when upright... Weirder and weirder.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • WarFreak131

Tinkerer

So I got the laptop back from the repair center and they said they couldn't reproduce the issue.  The orientation thing only popped up twice ever so I'm not too worried about it, but the screen flickering is really annoying.  The longer I use the laptop, the less it seems to happen.  But if I do a battery reset and hold it for a good 30 seconds, then the problem pops up strongly.  My only guess is that when the laptop is off or I do the battery reset, something within the screen discharged.
  • billsey
    I suppose it's possible, maybe something to do with supply voltage to the motherboard or to the display back light? Weird for sure, and too subtle for them to see in their test environment (which is likely very well lit with 40KHz ballasts on the fluorescent lights. :))
  • WarFreak131

Tinkerer

I purchased some phototransistors and resistors, which should arrive within a week.  Once I get them I'm going to build a circuit to quantify the exact flicker frequency that I'm seeing.  Hopefully that will clue them in towards what the problem is rather than needing to see it in order to diagnose it.
  • SeFish
    SeFish Member Posts: 4 New User
    Recently, I've been noticing a subtle flicker on my Acer Swift 7 (2019 version) screen ...
    Hi, I had the same problem. Sometimes the picture was ok, sometimes not. I suspect a manufacturing problem. In this review, someone also reports about it. https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/2/20750669/acer-swift-7-laptop-review-price-spec-features
    The cable routing on the back of the monitor doesn't look stable either.
    I have returned my swift 7 and am still waiting for a while.

• WarFreak131

Tinkerer

SeFish said:
    Recently, I've been noticing a subtle flicker on my Acer Swift 7 (2019 version) screen ...
    Hi, I had the same problem. Sometimes the picture was ok, sometimes not. I suspect a manufacturing problem. In this review, someone also reports about it. https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/2/20750669/acer-swift-7-laptop-review-price-spec-features
    The cable routing on the back of the monitor doesn't look stable either.
    I have returned my swift 7 and am still waiting for a while.

Well, at least I know I'm in good company.  Did you send it to the Acer repair center?

I took the measurements I spoke about a few posts ago, and these are the results.

https://i.imgur.com/weYy5hM.png
  • SeFish
    The seller took it back / money back.

• SeFish
    I have found this:

Clock /Pitch and Phase Controls. Maybe you can change these in the intel grahpic setting. Good luck!
  • WarFreak131

Tinkerer

SeFish said:
    The seller took it back / money back.

Did you happen to purchase it on ebay by any chance?

Also, thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

• SeFish
    WarFreak131 said:

Did you happen to purchase it on ebay by any chance?

No. It was new.