Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 GPU Problem

Options
kadeka
kadeka Member Posts: 10 New User
So I have this Nitro 5 for about a year and I've never had any issues playing games like lags, etc. But then, I got into college and I stopped playing games for a few months. Until recently, I got some spare time and decided to play games, like CS:GO, MHW, Destiny 2, etc. And this where the problem begins. The first thing I noticed is that when I'm playing CS:GO the FPS never reached 200 and got FPS dropped pretty often, where usually it hit this number or even more without any lag, but I thought it was just the new CS:GO update or something. And then I played MHW and Destiny 2 and the FPS is just unbearable, it stays on 15 or more but never reached 30. I usually got a stable 60 FPS on MHW and this is just weird. So I checked the graphic option on MHW and Destiny 2 and there it is. The amount of VRAM available is only 120mb. What? My GTX 1050 has 4GB of VRAM and it only shows 120MB? After a few google searches I found out that the game was using my Intel GPU so I reinstalled the driver, I made sure to use NVIDIA GPU on the 3D settings and the games finally shows that I have 4GB of VRAM. But the problems doesn't end there. The games were still laggy as if nothing has changed despite the fact that the games were using my NVIDIA GPU. And this is where it gets weirder. I decided to disable the Intel GPU through device manager. And when I opened NVIDIA control panel, it shows an error message "NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU.". What??? I was so confused. I disabled my Intel GPU which would make my NVIDIA GPU the only GPU available and now NVIDIA control panel said that I'm not using any NVIDIA GPU?? I know that there is a way to disable the Intel GPU through the BIOS, but the problem is my BIOS is somehow locked and I don't even know password. So do you guys have any idea of what's happening to my laptop? Should I go to the Acer Customer Service to fix the problem and unlock my BIOS? (The nearest Acer Customer Center is pretty far from where I lived btw so I'm making this the last option) And this is what I have tried : Reinstalling both of the GPU's driver, reinstalling the game, setting the game on low settings (still got fps drop), reinstalling my Windows, twice, and yes, I've tried restarting my PC. Please help.

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Firstly there is no need to disable the Intel GPU and that is not an option in the BIOS, setting your games to use the Nvidia in 3d settings is all you need to do so it is something else and it sounds like you are not gaming on high performance, if your High Performance settings are wrong you will always revert to the Intel even if Nvidia is selected.
    Never game on battery alone, modern gaming laptops will only achieve 50% of CPU potential on battery alone, so BEFORE gaming battery must be charged to 100% and KEPT plugged into the power while gaming. Also your Windows power plan must be set to High performance when on AC, do this in the Power plan settings or in Nitrosense. Please report back and if this hasn't helped we can look at some other things.
    Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• kadeka
    Options
    andylb said:
    Firstly there is no need to disable the Intel GPU and that is not an option in the BIOS, setting your games to use the Nvidia in 3d settings is all you need to do so it is something else and it sounds like you are not gaming on high performance, if your High Performance settings are wrong you will always revert to the Intel even if Nvidia is selected.
    Never game on battery alone, modern gaming laptops will only achieve 50% of CPU potential on battery alone, so BEFORE gaming battery must be charged to 100% and KEPT plugged into the power while gaming. Also your Windows power plan must be set to High performance when on AC, do this in the Power plan settings or in Nitrosense. Please report back and if this hasn't helped we can look at some other things.
    Please click YES if I have answered your question

Sorry but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I did run my games in High Performance but the results are still the same...
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Is your BIOS updated? 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• kadeka
    Options
    andylb said:
    Is your BIOS updated? 
    Yes
  • andylb
    Options
    Have you tried a battery reset?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• kadeka
    Options
    andylb said:
    To unlock the bios? Nope.
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,324 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Is you gpu driver is update send me driver version from device manager→display driver→right click then properties 
    If below notes not work 

Some important notes
    1)disable your antivirus while gaming if you using antivirus it is main reason of fps drop 
    2)set high performance in nitro since in both Ac and battery 

Very important 

1.)You need to go to Power options from right clicking the battery icon.
    2.)Switch to High performance mode and then go to Change plan settings or something option like additional power setting 
    3.)You'll be able to see Change advance power settings, proceed with that
    4.)Scroll down and search for Switchable Dynamic Graphics.
    5.)Set both the options to Maximum Performance.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • kadeka
    Options
    Is you gpu driver is update send me driver version from device manager→display driver→right click then properties 
    If below notes not work 

Some important notes
    1)disable your antivirus while gaming if you using antivirus it is main reason of fps drop 
    2)set high performance in nitro since in both Ac and battery 

Very important 

1.)You need to go to Power options from right clicking the battery icon.
    2.)Switch to High performance mode and then go to Change plan settings or something option like additional power setting 
    3.)You'll be able to see Change advance power settings, proceed with that
    4.)Scroll down and search for Switchable Dynamic Graphics.
    5.)Set both the options to Maximum Performance.

Yes, my drivers are up to date, i don't have any antivirus running, and my battery settings are set to maximum performance.
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    Options
    kadeka said:
    andylb said:

No not to unlock the BIOS, the BIOS can't be unlocked. Battery reset often solves unexplainable problems by releasing built up static. Turn off and unplug, place a straightened paperclip in the small hole on the underside of the laptop. Press for 10 second . Leave laptop alone for 15 minutes then plug in and power up

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• kadeka
    Options
    andylb said:
    kadeka said:
    andylb said:

No not to unlock the BIOS, the BIOS can't be unlocked. Battery reset often solves unexplainable problems by releasing built up static. Turn off and unplug, place a straightened paperclip in the small hole on the underside of the laptop. Press for 10 second . Leave laptop alone for 15 minutes then plug in and power up
    Ok, i just tried this and it doesn't work
  • andylb
    Options
    What is the CPU temperature when the FPS drop occurs

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• kadeka
    Options
    andylb said:
    The FPS drop wasn't the problem, the FPS was already low when I was playing any game that usually gives me high FPS
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,324 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Options
    kadeka said:
    andylb said:
    The FPS drop wasn't the problem, the FPS was already low when I was playing any game that usually gives me high FPS
    Do you have enough HDD OR SDD SPACE MORE THEN 400-500GB?

• kadeka
    Options
    kadeka said:
    andylb said:
    I don't think hard drive space could cause any fps drop
  • GAMING6698
    Options
    kadeka said:
    kadeka said:
    andylb said:
    It cause sometime to read heavy games need space in Android also to play pubg need 2gb  free..

You try to reset your pc?

• kadeka
    Options
    kadeka said:
    kadeka said:
    andylb said:
    It cause sometime to read heavy games need space in Android also to play pubg need 2gb  free..

yes, i did
  • GAMING6698
    Options
    kadeka said:
    kadeka said:
    kadeka said:
    andylb said:

yes, i did
    After reset did you download NVIDIA SOFTWARE AND OTHER ACER SOFTWARES?

• kadeka
    Options
    kadeka said:
    kadeka said:
    kadeka said:
    andylb said:

yes, i did
    After reset did you download NVIDIA SOFTWARE AND OTHER ACER SOFTWARES?
    Yes
  • andylb
    Options
    kadeka said:
    andylb said:

I'm asking because your CPU is obviously throttled back and temperature is the number one contributor 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Alihassan
    Alihassan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Did anyone found the solution for this problem?
    Kindly help me also