How to fix the problem of sudden fps drops in games? nitro 5 AN515-53-52FA

XSKYZ
XSKYZ Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Hello, I have a laptop acer nitro 5 for less than a year and recently there have been problems with liquidity in games. Specifically, about the situation where everything works properly and suddenly there is a few seconds decrease to low fps. I count on help.

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    XSKYZ said:
    Hello, I have a laptop acer nitro 5 for less than a year and recently there have been problems with liquidity in games. Specifically, about the situation where everything works properly and suddenly there is a few seconds decrease to low fps. I count on help.

Please post your exact model number, for example AN515-** and I will be happy to help, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• XSKYZ
    I've got AN515-53-52FA
  • andylb
    It may be that your games are running on the dedicated GPU and not on the discrete Nvidia GPU. So do this

1. Go to the Nvidia control center and under manage 3d settings/Preferred Graphics processor set to your Nvidia GPU then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU/High Performance

2. Make sure Windows is set to high performance and you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming
    Please click YES if I have answered your question, thank you

Please click YES if I have ansered your question, thankyou

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• XSKYZ
    I had the nvidia settings as you recommended. How do I set the highest windows performance? I tried to clean my computer, updated card components, and there are still drops. I was also surprised by the point about keeping the laptop on a 100% battery. I look forward to clarification and further advice.

• andylb
    Modern gaming laptops cannot reach 100% performance unless the battery is at 100% AND plugged in, battery alone does not have enough power to allow the CPU and GPU to operate at High Performance consistently so to preserve battery power the CPU is throttled back 50% when on battery alone.
    For High performance go to Nitrosense and set the High Power and also go to Settings and do the same, screenshots below

Please click YES if I have answered your question

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Wolfensteinz101
    Wolfensteinz101 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi can u help me.. My Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 have a fps drop.. My laptop lagging very much when play games.. Pls help me.. 😔 
  • andylb
    Hi can u help me.. My Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 have a fps drop.. My laptop lagging very much when play games.. Pls help me.. 😔 

Please start a new Topic of your own and I will be glad to help. It keeps things easier if each question has it's own Topic

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Martynas1992
    Martynas1992 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have a similar issue. I have Nitro 5 AN517-52-57U2, everything is set to High Performance, battery charged to 100% / charger plugged in , but once I start to play a game for example SC:GO, charger is getting disconnected automatically and FPS drops immediately to like 30fps. I have to shut down the game and reconnect the charger to get the laptop charging again. The only thing that helps to play a game without FPS drop or getting charger disconnected automatically I have to change Processor settings to 99% instead of 100% ,and even with this my FPS is not going more then like 80-170 with 99% processor settings, it should be like 270 fps steady. Do you know how to solve this issue ?
  • Orangemuffin3
    Orangemuffin3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have acer nitro 5 8gb ram gtx 1050 intel i5 8th gen
    I GET SUDDEN FPS DROP FROM 60 TO 5-10 PLEASE HELP...THIS MAKES MY GAMING EXPERIENCE BADD.... PLEASE HELP
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @Orangemuffin3 as suggested above, you are going to be better served if you start your own topic. Use the 'Ask a Question' button and please include your full model number (something like the AN515-53-52FA for this thread).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited January 2021
    I resolved this issue on my Nitro 7 by limiting turbo to 3.8 max (i only limited max turbo, didn't disable it completely - my CPU ( i7-9750H) has 2.6 base and 4.5 max for turbo).
    Limiting max speed does impact performance, but unless we are using as a server we almost never need that kind of speed. My apps and games still work as they were, and my CPU is a lot cooler (even in heavy games like cyberpunk and rust it stays under 70 with cool boost on and under 75 with cool boost off).
    I got this using throttlestop. Before this change temps used to hit high 80s and 90s and games used to either quit or get too laggy to even move mouse.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Unstopablejay
    Unstopablejay Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have acer nitro 5 8gb ram gtx 1050 intel i5 8th gen
    I GET SUDDEN FPS DROP FROM 60 TO 5-10 PLEASE HELP...THIS MAKES MY GAMING EXPERIENCE BADD.... PLEASE HELP
    Heyy I found the problem. This might sounds crazy. But it worked for me. I was using my laptop In my bed. Looks like the air vent is getting some trouble to cool the laptop. Then I put my laptop in a solid flat surface so the laptop can get some air for the cooling fans. That worked for me. The sudden fps drops are fixed. Hope it might help you.
  • sri369
    Heyy I found the problem. This might sounds crazy. But it worked for me. I was using my laptop In my bed. Looks like the air vent is getting some trouble to cool the laptop. Then I put my laptop in a solid flat surface so the laptop can get some air for the cooling fans. That worked for me. The sudden fps drops are fixed. Hope it might help you.
    Please do not do that ever again - it is a fire hazard. Laptops shoud always be placed on a surface that give some space between them and the laptop itself.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Gerhard85
    Gerhard85 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have a similar issue. I have Nitro 5 AN517-52-57U2, everything is set to High Performance, battery charged to 100% / charger plugged in , but once I start to play a game for example SC:GO, charger is getting disconnected automatically and FPS drops immediately to like 30fps. I have to shut down the game and reconnect the charger to get the laptop charging again. The only thing that helps to play a game without FPS drop or getting charger disconnected automatically I have to change Processor settings to 99% instead of 100% ,and even with this my FPS is not going more then like 80-170 with 99% processor settings, it should be like 270 fps steady. Do you know how to solve this issue ?

Hi All,

To start off, some background about me... I run a successful IT company in Cape Town South Africa, more than 20 years experience in the IT field, so I'd like to think I know my stuff.

Anyway, I have exactly the same laptop as in the quoted text from Martynas1992, and am experiencing exactly the same issue.

I have spent hours and hours reading up on this and attempting suggestions but in the end, the conclusion I sit with is the following:

No matter what was attempted, bios updates, different versions of windows, uninstalling and reinstalling batteries in device manager, and and and.... the laptop stops charging as soon as the unit is put under load. This is why all of the above people are asking for help, describing the exact symptoms (drop in FPS due to laptop going on to battery power due to loss of charge) of the conclusion I got to above.

I have to add that after the above occurs, the unit will continue to run on battery until I unplug the charger and re insert it.

If it is the case that the charger can not provide what is required by the unit, should Acer not consider taking this a bit more serious and solving the problem at the root?

Why can no one from Acer tell us why this is happening in the first place?

Regards

G
  • sri369
    Martynas1992 said:

Hi All,

To start off, some background about me... I run a successful IT company in Cape Town South Africa, more than 20 years experience in the IT field, so I'd like to think I know my stuff.

Anyway, I have exactly the same laptop as in the quoted text from Martynas1992, and am experiencing exactly the same issue.

I have spent hours and hours reading up on this and attempting suggestions but in the end, the conclusion I sit with is the following:

No matter what was attempted, bios updates, different versions of windows, uninstalling and reinstalling batteries in device manager, and and and.... the laptop stops charging as soon as the unit is put under load. This is why all of the above people are asking for help, describing the exact symptoms (drop in FPS due to laptop going on to battery power due to loss of charge) of the conclusion I got to above.

I have to add that after the above occurs, the unit will continue to run on battery until I unplug the charger and re insert it.

If it is the case that the charger can not provide what is required by the unit, should Acer not consider taking this a bit more serious and solving the problem at the root?

Why can no one from Acer tell us why this is happening in the first place?

Regards

G

Power supplies are, I think, determined by the geo locale. I saw this problem faced by some users when using Predator laptop - mine was a US 180 W, wherein some others had 135W for the same model (non US models). Making the charger a high rated one, personally, I feel that's kinda overkill considering the system wouldn't be under extreme power hungry mode all the time. When the power burst is needed, laptop does not switch to battery mode, but instead stays on power connected mode, stops battery charging, and diverts some battery power too the needed components. This isn't isolated to Acer either afaik.
    Also, if only the processor is under load it shouldn't switch. When both CPU and GPU are put to taxing levels that's when this should be happening.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • gwafbat
    gwafbat Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a problem with my Acer 517–51, I've had it less than a year but it started getting worse and worse and now when a play a game the fos will decrease over time. At the start it will be on 120 fps but after a few minutes it will decrease and stay at 60 or less.