upgrade of 2017 Travelmate. - 8573TG-2454G50

Options
Kimjessen
Kimjessen Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
TravelMate 8573TG-2454G50Mnkk MFG
I'm going to change the keyboard on my Travelmate so I thought to do something more about it ... more ram. new hard drive .. and possibly change my i5 cpu to something
more powerful.
does anyone have any good suggestions for getting my machine up to date.

Kim

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    So a lot depends on where you are right now with it... It supports up to 8GB of memory (two 4GB sticks) which is an easy upgrade if you aren't already maxed out. DDR3 1333MH SO-DIMMs. You can swap processors, it supports 2nd gen Sandy Bridge Mobile up to an I7-2620. The biggest bang for the buck is likely to replace the HDD with a SSD though. You'll want a SSD that's at least as big as what you have in it right now, though I'd likely opt for a 1TB, that seems to be the sweet spot for price/size. If you don't already have one pick up an external USB case for the drive so you can connect and clone before the swap. I think trying for anything beyond those three areas is probably more trouble than it's be worth.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kimjessen
    Options
    ok thanks for an honest answer.! downturn.! otherwise i am very happy with the model, i love the doking station opportunity. + that the mouse pad has buttons that work optimally.
    As far as I can tell, my model was the last model to have the doking station, is that right? or are there newer models with the docking station ...? not the usb thing ... but a really doking station.
  • billsey
    Options
    Yeah, very few modern systems have docking stations as options anymore. They were needed back when other options were too slow. With current USB speeds it's much easier to use a generic dock through a USB port. USB 2.0 was barely fast enough for an Ethernet connection, now you can do Ethernet, multiple video and still have enough bandwidth to support multiple pass through ports.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kimjessen
    Options
    what i see as a disadvantage is the old docking station the labtop was charged ... as far as i know you can't charge through the usb port.
    Many in the office have a newer system and they constantly forget to add power to their PC when they arrive in the morning.
    it was super easy before. there you switched to docking and everything was ok.

• billsey
    Options
    I have a client who has a USB-C docking station that provides a bunch of ports, and charges at the same time. So on some systems it's possible.
  • Kimjessen
    Options
    I assume that since you are not writing which acer laptop it is that it is another product. !? in all respects to this forum and acer then i will not ask which one just yes or no. ?