Fading vertical white band

geeveez
geeveez Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I too have a 'vertical white band' problem on my fairly new laptop. It appeared when watching a video via You Tube. Initially it was opaque but became translucent then almost transparent and finally faded away after some hours. I ran a Norton scan and two threats were picked up. One was deleted as advised by Norton. The other " Lmir0ea45001.top_r.bat" could not be identified. A google search indicated it to be a threat so I deleted it via Norton. Is this all that needs to be done or is the band due to another cause/virus

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Probably. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Usually all most folks need is Microsoft Defender and  Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. They get updated regularly with Windows updates. Non-Microsoft anti-virus or anti-malware scanners like Norton, McAfee, AVG, Malwarebytes usually just slow your machine up but aren't any more effective. The Malicious Software Removal Tool  ( press WIN+R then enter 'mrt.exe') is useful for catching malware that can slip by Norton. This sometimes happens with any anti-virus or  anti-malware programs. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• geeveez

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks again. Will try the procedure with mrt.exe

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Probably. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• geeveez

Tinkerer

Thanks for the quick response.  Another query - how come the anti-virus did not give a warning and would installing anti-malware have helped.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Usually all most folks need is Microsoft Defender and  Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. They get updated regularly with Windows updates. Non-Microsoft anti-virus or anti-malware scanners like Norton, McAfee, AVG, Malwarebytes usually just slow your machine up but aren't any more effective. The Malicious Software Removal Tool  ( press WIN+R then enter 'mrt.exe') is useful for catching malware that can slip by Norton. This sometimes happens with any anti-virus or  anti-malware programs. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• geeveez

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks again. Will try the procedure with mrt.exe