How to Disable Acer Trueharmony PERMANENTLY on my new Swift 3 SF315-52G

Options
nukedathlonman
nukedathlonman Member Posts: 4 New User
I disable TrueHarmony in the HD Audio manager, only to reboot and find it enabled again.  I plug in headphones, and it enables again... I unplug headphones, it enables again. I've removed the audio driver, and let Windows 10 decide on a new driver - it reloads the Realtek driver (sans HD Audio manager) and it brings back TrueHarmony (accessible in the sound panel)....  This is well beyond annoying.  Is there a registry key I can edit to eliminate this awful (unnatural) sounding DSP?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options
    Download iobit's DriverBooster freeware. Then uninstall the audio driver again from DeviceManager. Exit DeviceManager. If you don't get a message to reboot machine, then run DriverBooster to see what it'll pick up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• nukedathlonman
    Options
    After thinking about it through the day today, I came up with a solution and executed it an hour ago.  I don't want Windows to download the one from Windows update again.  So, after some searching I was able to get the reference Realtek audio driver from Realtek's Website, the one that won't make use of any additional OEM modifications.  Trust me, this is really hard to find.  Realtek really emphasizes to DL the one from the OEM or risk not taking advantage of additional features such as DSP's as well.  It's also really slow to download.  I then went into device manager and removed the device.  I then cleaned up the registry with CCleaner.  Then I installed the reference driver - no more DSP, so now my headphones once again have their nice rich sound with out me having to manually turn off Trueharmony (and the internal speakers of the laptop are significantly less weird sounding).  There is no way to turn it on, but I'm perfectly fine with that.  I don't get why Acer setup their software driver to aggressively reenable it's self - I'd have been happy if a simple click it's off and stays that way until clicked again.  So not having it at all suits me fine, and I'm a happy camper now.
  • Grabow
    Grabow Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    @nukedathlonman I am experiencing the same exact issue, "TrueHarmony" sounds terrible. It does not matter what you select in predator sense. I have THX certified 2.1 speakers and it sounds like a tin can! What you did sounds like what I want to do, but not sure how to follow all those steps properly!
  • nukedathlonman
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Yeah, that method works...  But not as well as I thought.  The newest Windows updates don't get along with the Realtek drivers they have on their due to some changes (the drivers are pretty old) - you'll wind up with periodic Audio stutters.

Okay, to permanently disable True Harmony and have things get along with Windows 10 (the 1903 and 1909 releases) you'll need to go into device manager.  Select "Sound, video and game controllers" and then right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)".  Select "Update Driver".  A dialog box will pop up, and from there select "Browse my Computer for Driver Software".  On the next screen, click on "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".  On the next screen, unclick the "Show compatible hardware" box.  On the left side box, scroll and select "Microsoft" and then select "High Definition Audio Device" on the right side box.  You may or may not have multiple versions, and if you do then select the newest one.  Then hit next.  A Warning box will then pop up - to warn you it might not be compatible (don't worry, it *IS* compatible).  Hit Yes and then reboot once it's installed.  And that will remove the "True Harmony" tab and it will also restore the normal "Enhancements" tab in sound manager.  You won't get stutters or have to deal with "TrueHarmony" turning on at every opportune moment any more (esp if one has good SQ equipment be it headphone or speakers, etc).  :-)
  • Grabow
    Grabow Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Where did you find the audio drivers for that? Under device manager I have "Realtek(R) Audio" listed.
  • nukedathlonman
    Options
    My device was likely renamed when I installed the Realtek reference driver.  You can update the one you have.
  • AjFdc
    AjFdc Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Yeah, that method works...  But not as well as I thought.  The newest Windows updates don't get along with the Realtek drivers they have on their due to some changes (the drivers are pretty old) - you'll wind up with periodic Audio stutters.

Okay, to permanently disable True Harmony and have things get along with Windows 10 (the 1903 and 1909 releases) you'll need to go into device manager.  Select "Sound, video and game controllers" and then right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)".  Select "Update Driver".  A dialog box will pop up, and from there select "Browse my Computer for Driver Software".  On the next screen, click on "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".  On the next screen, unclick the "Show compatible hardware" box.  On the left side box, scroll and select "Microsoft" and then select "High Definition Audio Device" on the right side box.  You may or may not have multiple versions, and if you do then select the newest one.  Then hit next.  A Warning box will then pop up - to warn you it might not be compatible (don't worry, it *IS* compatible).  Hit Yes and then reboot once it's installed.  And that will remove the "True Harmony" tab and it will also restore the normal "Enhancements" tab in sound manager.  You won't get stutters or have to deal with "TrueHarmony" turning on at every opportune moment any more (esp if one has good SQ equipment be it headphone or speakers, etc).  :-)
    thank you very much, I finally got rid of acer true harmony, now my speakers does not sound like a tin anymore