[HELP] Which ssd is supported in Aspire 5 / A515-54G-70AG (pls see attachment)

Options
rmj
rmj Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2019 in Aspire Laptops

Thank you in advance.

[Edited the post due to personal or inappropriate content posted. Acer-Harvey]

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,585 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The mainboard image below is what you 'should' (vs 'will') find after removing the bottom cover.

#13 is the m.2 socket --- if it has only 1-keyway it will accept either the 1-slot NVME or 2-slot SATA m.2 cards. To add to your confusion, both cards are technically PCIe bus devices. But the 1 slot NVME has more connections to the PCIe bus and thus faster than the SATA card.

#22 is the 2.5" HDD or SDD connector.

So you're machine could be equipped from the factory with a 2.5" HDD --- OR --- a 2.5" SSD  --- OR --- an m.2 SSD SATA card --- OR ---  an m.2 NVME card --- OR --- a 2.5" HDD/SSD plus an m.2 SATA/NVME.

To find out which HDD or SSD is already inside, press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. In the left pane click on the 'Components' folder . Then the 'Storage' subfolder. The the 'Disks' sub-sub folder. The right pane will show the HDD or SSD model and number installed from which we can determine what you have.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rmj
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi everyone!

It has been a while since this was posted few years ago. I got occupied after this was discussed and hasn't got back.

Just to let you know, SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus was the one installed right now. 

I took the BOLD risk of buying the presumed SSD format way back then. 

I was so anxious, as there was no way for easy return/refund if something goes wrong for it was ordered from overseas.

I had the Certified ACER Tech installed the SSD once it arrived few weeks later. It was a sigh of RELIEF actually.

Fast forward 2022, today, everything is running smoothly with Windows 11 Pro. (21H2 build 22000.493). 
    It is imperative to install latest windows updates, update all the Visual C++ up to 2022, latest drivers and all Acer updates via Acer Care Center.
    (Any use of driver updater is highly discouraged)

If you have the same model as mine, it's better to also have SSD SATA, preferably (as I intend to do in a few weeks time).
    Better use the same brands for m.2 NVME and SATA SSD slots , coz theoretically, they should work seamlessly especially if it has an SSD management tool, in my case Samsung Magician.

Pardon the long post as this is partly a review as well and my ACER laptop is holding up all these years and my hopes, more years to come. (provided with utmost handling and care)

Thank you for all the responses and assistance, it has been a pleasure. Take care and stay safe.

• rmj
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Kindly have this thread marked SOLVED.

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    To be certain, you must check the keyways in the freee m.2 slot on your particular mainboard. Some came with two keyways which means the EVO pictured won't physically fit. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• rmj
    edited November 2019
    Options
    JackE said:
    To be certain, you must check the keyways in the freee m.2 slot on your particular mainboard. Some came with two keyways which means the EVO pictured won't physically fit. Jack E/NJ 
    thanks for the timely reply. I just bought this 4 days ago, there is still a warranty sticker
    Is there a way to possibly check it without opening the laptop? E.g. using a software?

I tried, HWInfo, cpu-z, aida64, speccy etc.. I got no luck to verify these

I did contacted Acer Support via chat, it seems that they also got no definite answers
    I don't want to end up buying the wrong format
  • JackE
    Options
    The two slot m.2 Kingston is a safer and more trouble-free choice. The NVMe's are more bleeding edge tech in comparison. Either way, the laptop must be opened at some point in order to install it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rmj
    edited November 2019
    Options
    JackE said:
    The two slot m.2 Kingston is a safer and more trouble-free choice. The NVMe's are more bleeding edge tech in comparison. Either way, the laptop must be opened at some point in order to install it. Jack E/NJ
    @JackE
    hi man, I am confused sorry to call out your attention again but allow me to give an excerpt from chat support,
    [rephrased] "He mentioned that both examples in the image are "M.2 SSD". He reitirated that my device ONLY equipped with an NVMe PCIe slot for SSD." (see image below)

Now, I am confused even more.

"NVMMe PCIe" appears to be for desktop not for laptop right?
    Is chat support agent mistaken? Or have I misunderstood?

hope you can clear things up a bit for me..

• JackE
    Options
    The only SSDs you should be concerned with in a laptop are a 2.5" SSD (SATA) or an m.2 SSD (SATA or NVME). The NVME you pictured is NOT a laptop m.2 NVME --- it's a desktop expansion NVME card for a desktop PCIe socket not a laptop m.2 socket. They're both NVMEs but in entirely different physical form factors.

The 2-slot m.2 Kingston SATA will fit in either a 2 keyway m.2 socket or a 1 keyway m.2 socket. The 1-slot EVO NVME will only fit the 1-keyway m.2 socket. Your laptop should have the 1-keyway m.2 slot that should accept either m.2 card --- but 'should' doesn't mean the same thing as 'will'. To be certain, you must open the laptop and actually look inside. If you're not comfortable doing this, I suggest that you ask an ACER certified service for an estimate if you're concerned about voiding your warranty.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rmj
    Options
    This is what I thought from the beginning that's why I started to wonder why the agent insisted "NVMe PCIe" Only.
    How could this possibly fit inside a very thin from factor of aspire 5? Idk, what he/she was thinking or maybe he/she just misunderstood.

I have my doubts as well. Since this is just few days old, the only possible way is to open this up as an absolute solution, by Acer Certified Tech.
    I can open this up but, I rather not wanna void warranty.

I greatly appreciate your time, thank you.

(image for reference only)

• rmj
    Options
    (in reference image) PCIe, should be the one for my laptop, unless proven otherwise by Acer Tech himself, but as for datasheet this is what is specified for this particular model,
  • rmj
    edited November 2019
    Options
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The mainboard image below is what you 'should' (vs 'will') find after removing the bottom cover.

#13 is the m.2 socket --- if it has only 1-keyway it will accept either the 1-slot NVME or 2-slot SATA m.2 cards. To add to your confusion, both cards are technically PCIe bus devices. But the 1 slot NVME has more connections to the PCIe bus and thus faster than the SATA card.

#22 is the 2.5" HDD or SDD connector.

So you're machine could be equipped from the factory with a 2.5" HDD --- OR --- a 2.5" SSD  --- OR --- an m.2 SSD SATA card --- OR ---  an m.2 NVME card --- OR --- a 2.5" HDD/SSD plus an m.2 SATA/NVME.

To find out which HDD or SSD is already inside, press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. In the left pane click on the 'Components' folder . Then the 'Storage' subfolder. The the 'Disks' sub-sub folder. The right pane will show the HDD or SSD model and number installed from which we can determine what you have.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MichaelMedina
    MichaelMedina Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    HI rmj said:

Thank you in advance.

[Edited the post due to personal or inappropriate content posted. Acer-Harvey]
    Hi rmj.  I have the laptop. May I ask if you finaly installed an SSD? which one is correct?

I am no tech but I'm very ready to open my laptop and install am SSD if I know the exact SSD I need. Same when I upgraded my Ram. 😅
  • JackE
    Options
    Unless you have the exact same model as the OP A515-54G-70AG or NX.HNBSP.002 AND the machine was sold in the same country or region, you cannot be sure the OP's system is exactly like yours. You must open the laptop to be sure.

Jack E/NJ

• MichaelMedina
    Options
    JackE said:
    Unless you have the exact same model as the OP A515-54G-70AG or NX.HNBSP.002 AND the machine was sold in the same country or region, you cannot be sure the OP's system is exactly like yours. You must open the laptop to be sure.

Hi JackE. Thanks for your response. This is the inside of my unit for refference. It's the same, am I correct? Thank you for your help.
  • JackE
    Options
    It is a single M-key m.2 card socket. That means you can install either an m.2 SATA card or and m.2 NVME card in this socket up to 2TB size. An NVME card might operate at higher speeds than a SATA card. The best deal right now seems to be the 1T Western Digital NVME card.

Jack E/NJ

• MichaelMedina
    Options
    JackE said:

Hi JackE. Thanks for your response. This is the inside of my unit for refference. It's the same, am I correct? Thank you for your help.
  • MichaelMedina
    Options
    JackE said:
    It is a single M-key m.2 card socket. That means you can install either an m.2 SATA card or and m.2 NVME card in this socket up to 2TB size. An NVME card might operate at higher speeds than a SATA card. The best deal right now seems to be the 1T Western Digital NVME card.

Thank you very much JackE, this is very helpful. I really appreciate it. 🙏 
  • JackE
    Options
    Good luck.  Pleae let us know how it goes.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• rmj
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi everyone!

It has been a while since this was posted few years ago. I got occupied after this was discussed and hasn't got back.

Just to let you know, SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus was the one installed right now. 

I took the BOLD risk of buying the presumed SSD format way back then. 

I was so anxious, as there was no way for easy return/refund if something goes wrong for it was ordered from overseas.

I had the Certified ACER Tech installed the SSD once it arrived few weeks later. It was a sigh of RELIEF actually.

Fast forward 2022, today, everything is running smoothly with Windows 11 Pro. (21H2 build 22000.493). 
    It is imperative to install latest windows updates, update all the Visual C++ up to 2022, latest drivers and all Acer updates via Acer Care Center.
    (Any use of driver updater is highly discouraged)

If you have the same model as mine, it's better to also have SSD SATA, preferably (as I intend to do in a few weeks time).
    Better use the same brands for m.2 NVME and SATA SSD slots , coz theoretically, they should work seamlessly especially if it has an SSD management tool, in my case Samsung Magician.

Pardon the long post as this is partly a review as well and my ACER laptop is holding up all these years and my hopes, more years to come. (provided with utmost handling and care)

Thank you for all the responses and assistance, it has been a pleasure. Take care and stay safe.

• JackE
    Options
    >>>Fast forward 2022, today, everything is running smoothly with Windows 11 Pro. (21H2 build 22000.493).>>

Thanks for your report. Good luck with continued success with this machine.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• rmj
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Kindly have this thread marked SOLVED.
  • JackE
    Options
    You have already marked it so. :)

Jack E/NJ