Acer Aspire Switch 10 SW5-015 won't power up

ray_n
ray_n Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Battery is bulging.  Power supply measured at 12V unloaded.   Checked battery/audio cable and connection seems good.  The blue led is on when plugged in, though dimly lit.   I have detached the battery and the unit still does not power on.

I suspect this source of the problem is the battery.   However, can anyone confirm that the Switch 10 will not power up when battery is detached?   The replacement battery is quite costly so I want to know if there's a good chance it can fix the issue.  Thanks!

Ray

Answers

• Balu
    Balu Ally Posts: 95
    Unplug the AC power adapter. Press and hold the Power button down for 15 seconds. This will perform a software battery reset that may resolve the issue. If your system has a battery pinhole reset on the bottom, insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole and hold the button down for 5 seconds.

If you like the answer hit accept
  • Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    ray_n said:
    Battery is bulging.  Power supply measured at 12V unloaded.   Checked battery/audio cable and connection seems good.  The blue led is on when plugged in, though dimly lit.   I have detached the battery and the unit still does not power on.

I suspect this source of the problem is the battery.   However, can anyone confirm that the Switch 10 will not power up when battery is detached?   The replacement battery is quite costly so I want to know if there's a good chance it can fix the issue.  Thanks!

Ray
    Hi ,
    Am sorry to hear this, try contacting acer tech support for this battery or other issue with hardware.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• ray_n

Tinkerer

Balu said:
    Unplug the AC power adapter. Press and hold the Power button down for 15 seconds. This will perform a software battery reset that may resolve the issue. If your system has a battery pinhole reset on the bottom, insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole and hold the button down for 5 seconds.

If you like the answer hit accept
    I have already tried long press power and long press power+vol up/down buttons but none of these will power up the machine.   What I need to know if someone can try to unplug the battery and see if the machine can still be powered up without a battery.  If not, a new battery may be my solution.   If it can be powered up without battery, I may getting a new adapter first.  Even though multi-meter gives a 12V reading, maybe it is still failing under load.

Can anyone try unplugging the battery and see if it can be turned on?   I have looked everything but I haven't found an answer to this yet.

Thanks!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    A bulging battery is trying to tell you something... You will need to replace it!
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ray_n

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    A bulging battery is trying to tell you something... You will need to replace it!
    I understand.  I want to make sure there is not another issue that can't be solved and I ended up buying a new costly battery.   The unit won't turn on even when I unplug the battery and keep the power adapter plugged in.   I want to know if that's to be expected or if something else may be wrong also.

Thanks!
  • ray_n

Tinkerer

I went ahead and ordered a replacement battery.  Sadly, the Switch 10 still won't turn on with the new battery.   The amber (when charging) and blue (when charged) power led still comes on as with the old battery.  But none of other power switch / Pwr+Vol-Up / Pwr+Vol-Dn would turn on the unit.  I reseated all cables already to not avail.   Power brick has steady 12V output at tip and at motherboard connection.  Any other suggestions before I give up?
  • billsey
    With it all buttoned up and with the new battery, leave it off and plugged in until you know it's fully charged. You should get the amber light switching to blue I believe. Then try turning it on...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ray_n

Tinkerer

I already tried that.  The battery seems to charge ok.  (LED light change from amber to blue after plugging in for a while).   However no button combination can turn it on.  I'm starting to think maybe the power button on the audio socket/buttons daughter board and/or the cable is broken.   I tried shorting the pins on the power button but still no luck.

Has anyone experienced issues with the power button that would required the button board to be replaced?
  • billsey
    I haven't heard of anyone talking about problems that are traced back to a failing power button, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibilities. Have you got a meter to ohm out the wires?