Frequent BSOD on my Acer aspire E5 473g

Lippincott
Lippincott Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have been getting frequent random BSOD on my notebook. It doesn't matter what I am doing, it just freezes at random and displays a BSOD with system thread exception not handled nvdlkdm.sys and restarts again. My Nvidia driver version is 371.
I tried downloading the Nvidia driver from Acer's website but all I get is a black screen after installation. This leaves me to restore windows to a previous state where I face the frequent BSOD again. Please help...

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    Try this first. Open DeviceManager. Click display folder. Uninstall the nvidia driver. Exit Device Manager without trying to install anything. Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked. Shutdown Windows. Turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lippincott
    Thanks for the reply, I have tried this already. Still BSOD. Could it be that it's the windows 1809 build that is causing these problems? Should I consider a downgrade?
  • JackE
    Yes, it's possible. Check if you can find an 1809 automatic restore point in ControlPanel. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lippincott
    Thanks for the help so far. I did the downgrade. Same BSOD issues. My GPU is probably dying because at this point I can't think of any other explanation..
  • JackE
    Download and try iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it can pick up anything wrong with the GPU driver. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ