My laptop can't find my headsetmicrophone. Can anyone help me?

Options
kyano
kyano Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I like to game with my friends and talk to them on discord. But my laptop can't seem to detecct my headset microphone. instead it always uses the built-in micorphone. My friend also has the same problem. Does anyone have a  solution for this problem? 

Answers

• Sjenest
    Sjenest Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Method 1.

This happens when you have the external speakers set to default. We need to set the headphones as default.
    Perform the task mentioned to set headphones as default:
    a. Go to Start and click on control Panel.
    b. Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.
    c. In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.
    d. Now check if headphones are listed there and right click on it and choose enable.
    e. Highlight that headphones and click on "Set as Default".

Method 2:

Check with the volume settings and check if it helps:
    a) Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar and select volume control options.
    b) Put a check mark on "All devices currently playing sound".
    c) Make sure you have "The default communication device unchecked".
    d) Place a check mark on both speakers and headphones.

Method 3.

a. Right click on your sound icon.
    b. Click Playback Devices.
    c. Right click in the Playback tab.
    d. Click Show Disabled Devices.
    e. Right click in the Playback tab.
    f. Click Show Disconnected Devices.

Method 4.

a- Check your connection. The most likely source of a complete cessation of functionality is a loose or unplugged connection. Make sure the USB cord is firmly plugged into the USB port on your computer and does not wiggle when shaken lightly.

b- Make sure the headset is enabled as the default audio device. When a device is listed as default, it will automatically be used, even when other output devices (like speakers or a secondary microphone) exist. To make your headset the default audio/line-in device in Windows XP, go to the Control Panel (accessible via the "Start" menu) and then go to the "Sounds and Audio Devices" link and click on the "Audio" tab. Then under the "Sound Playback" and "Voice Recording" headings, select your headset from the drop-down box. Then do the same things in the "Audio" tab. Click the "OK" button to save the changes.

c- Check driver status. Device drivers are small pieces of software that facilitate communication between the computers. To check your device drivers, go to the Control Panel, select "System" and then go to the "Hardware" tab. Click on "Device Manager" and go to the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section. Click on the yellow arrow to show the installed audio and sound devices. If you see your device listed, your drivers are up to date. If your device is not listed or it has a yellow exclamation point next to it, you will need to reinstall or update your drivers. See your headset's owner's manual for more information on how to install drivers for your specific model.

Hope this helps.

• Balu
    Balu Ally Posts: 95
    Options
    In Control Panel, select Large icons from the View by drop down menu. Select Sound. Select the Recording tab, then right click on any empty place inside the device list and tick Show Disabled Devices. Right click the Headset Microphone and click Enable.

If you like the answer click Accept.