Helios 300. Make my laptop perform like it's unplugged

Akazakis
Akazakis Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
i know people usually want the opposite, but i want to know if there is a way to make my laptop behave like it's running just on battery. Sometimes, i find myself playing games with low demands from my CPU/GPU. I have noticed that when unplugged, my laptop is way cooler and the fans are much quieter (to consume less energy obviously), and the games are running as smooth as when its plugged. The difference is that when its plugged the CPU/GPU are running at higher clocks and it causes unnecessary heat and noise. I have created a custom Power Plan to limit my CPU cap, with some success, but it's still way higher than when it's not plugged at all. I know that the answer will probably be to mess with the BIOS, but i'm not willing to go there. I'm asking in case i missed an easier/more obvious way to do it. Thanks.

Answers

• HopeJuster
    HopeJuster Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Akazakis said:
    Hello,
    i know people usually want the opposite, but i want to know if there is a way to make my laptop behave like it's running just on battery. Sometimes, i find myself playing games with low demands from my CPU/GPU. I have noticed that when unplugged, my laptop is way cooler and the fans are much quieter (to consume less energy obviously), and the games are running as smooth as when its plugged. The difference is that when its plugged the CPU/GPU are running at higher clocks and it causes unnecessary heat and noise. I have created a custom Power Plan to limit my CPU cap, with some success, but it's still way higher than when it's not plugged at all. I know that the answer will probably be to mess with the BIOS, but i'm not willing to go there. I'm asking in case i missed an easier/more obvious way to do it. Thanks.
    Well the thing is when you're unplugged Nvidia activates battery boost mode and limits fps to 30 to increase battery life
    you could try this and see if it helps
  • strider16
    strider16 Member Posts: 123 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Go to advanced power plan settings, then reduce maximum processor power to 99% from 100%. This disables turbo clock for cpu, reducing greatly the heat when maximum demand.
    Undervolt it too, and if using intel xtu you can see slides to adjust maximum wattage and current allowed. Just be sure to note the default values, even if xtu just resets to default after a reboot.
    Nothing peaks at the same time...
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33054103