Product ID missing!

Options
CryWolf
CryWolf Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
This question goes on the same lines, as someone in the community asked for desperately way back in 2013. The question has now been Archived. I can't see any Product ID in the settings. Just like the other gentleman in the community I have also called Microsoft, but fortunately I did not hear that the Product has been activated over 30K times. (But who knows, it could have been, because my problem is also exactly the same, and I suspect that the malpractice might have taken place already!).
   Microsoft Support did try to find the 25 digit number and confirmed that it is a genuine software but they are also unable to trace the Id too. Could it then be a fault at Acer Manufacturing house? Because the 25 character number that they (Microsoft) gave me  is not accepted by Microsoft itself!

Any help from any corner of the world shall be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Answers

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Can you try Alt+F10 reset that will bring you back to factory defaults? Do a backup before doing this. Also, try to lean install using an ISO.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    CryWolf said:
    Gawain said:
    this is going to be a long shot, but i see MS only listing 1909 now for their .iso's, and as that hasn't been tried, personally I'd download that, make a bootable .iso, wipe the lot and try one last time (then try to activate before loading any non-MS software, and try slui 4 as MS are pretty shoddy when this can work or not).  If that failed, I'd start hassling Acer as the laptop was in a sealed box, has never successfully activated, and the machine can with 10 from Acer, so if it fails, Acer supplied a laptop without 10 as paid for.
       Hhahahha. Just as what I was also thinking. But, a factory reset did the trick and after wiping out all personal data and sacrificing the programs that I have downloaded, I now see Windows10 Home activated!

But what has surprised me is that the Product Id this time is entirely different from the one that I have found executing "wmic".

The previous original product key was a 25 character one (from "wmic"), the present product ID (after a factory reset done) that I have fished out from the Settings window is a 20 character ID. Though the system says," Windows is activated". How come? Could it be the (*iso) / the original Windows10 Home ID?  Curious...

Anyways , thank you for the help,

CryWolf
    brilliant!  You sorted it!  As for the ID difference, the machine has an OEM version of 10 (basically it is 10, but doesn't have MS support hence it's cheaper coming from Acer than buying a full license direct from MS and does a weird thing with the id within windows, so nothing to worry about).

Answers

• Gawain
    edited November 2019
    Options
    i take it you mean the activation code for windows 10?  This is in the uefi chip on the motherboard hence not on a sticker on the pc/laptop like with 7 before.  Have you recently reinstalled windows 10 from scratch from a downloaded .iso file or some other recovery attempt to reinstall?  Also, if you go to the command prompt, try this command:  wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    that will hopefully give you the key from the uefi settings on your motherboard.

another way (which you might see as a pain), is boot from any live linux distribution such as ubuntu after creating a bootable usb stick (you don't have to install it as it will live boot without touching the hard-drive etc, but you might have to change something in the bios to allow you to boot from a usb stick in the first place), then issue this command at the terminal:
    sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM | tail -1
  • CryWolf

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks Gawain,
     1) The Laptop came Windows10 Home Edition preinstalled.
     2) I did reinstall another instance from (Media Creation Tool 1903 upon instructions from MS support). Yet it didn't resolve the problem.
    Microsoft support also did give the exact command that you wrote in the first paragraph, and the 25 key product ID then reflected, but unfortunately the key isn't working though Microsoft Support did confirm that the software is genuine.

Incidentally, before coming back to Acer community , I was trying my hand on some other options from Youtube and it did land me on a post that said on an elevated Command prompt paste these commands (please see below), but access was denied! Somewhere in the Video content I heard the instructor saying, "some 3rd party programs may delete some keys in the registry, because of which this issue of Product ID not available may crop up!" And , so in the video it was suggested to issue these commands on the elevated command Prompt. However it did not help.

A brief look into my computer programs and software installed may hint you if there could be some technical snag because of it

Windows 10 Home came pre-installed
          I installed GNS  running on VMware
          Downloaded windows server 2016 images to run on Virtual Box
      I was suspecting if any of these software have deleted some keys from the registry, because third party software(s) are installed indeed!

And, I need to try the second option, though it is too technical for me because I have never been out of Microsoft environment though I see Linux systems being predominantly used in IT industries.

sc create sppsvc binPath= C:\Windows\System32\sppsvc.exe DisplayName= "Software Protection" depend= Rpcss start= delayed-auto obj= "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" password= ""

sc privs sppsvc SeAuditPrivilege/SeChangeNotifyPrivilege/SeCreateGlobalPrivilege/SeImpersonatePrivilege

sc sdset sppsvc D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;SU)(A;;LCRP;;;AU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)

sc sidtype sppsvc UNRESTRICTED

Open an Elevated Command Prompt window - click on the Start button, and in the Search box, type CMD. wait for the system to find the one file, then right-click on that and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt if you get one

Right-click on the C:\ icon (top left of the window) and select Edit... >Paste

You 😒 should get success ( but it wasn't successful in my case!) after each line of code (you may need to hit the Enter key to complete the last line)

when complete, reboot.

Once you've rebooted, check to see if the Service has started - if so, then check that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is also present, and starts on request.

Post back with a new MGADiag report, and the results of the above.

Thank You once again for guiding me, shall try the second option soon,

Cordially,

CryWolf

• Gawain
    edited November 2019
    Options
    if ms have talked through the first command, there's nothing to be gained from the second as both reference the same chip.  Just to clarify, it was never activated, even with the original factory loaded install?  or, it didn't activate after installing 1903 from an .iso?  Just one other thing - you say you called MS, did you get their number from a webpage or from using the "slui 4" command?  See, whenever i've had 10 activation issues (generally from installing 10 as a vm), I use   slui 4   at a command prompt.  this takes me through a whole list of screens and has a specific  installation id (different to product id), then i call the number at the end, explain it, they ask for the installation id and then activate it without issue.      Might be worth trying at a command prompt:    slui 4     if you haven't already done that.
  • XdxD
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Can you try Alt+F10 reset that will bring you back to factory defaults? Do a backup before doing this. Also, try to lean install using an ISO.
  • CryWolf

Tinkerer

Options
    Gawain said:
    if ms have talked through the first command, there's nothing to be gained from the second as both reference the same chip.  Just to clarify, it was never activated, even with the original factory loaded install?  or, it didn't activate after installing 1903 from an .iso?  Just one other thing - you say you called MS, did you get their number from a webpage or from using the "slui 4" command?  See, whenever i've had 10 activation issues (generally from installing 10 as a vm), I use   slui 4   at a command prompt.  this takes me through a whole list of screens and has a specific  installation id (different to product id), then i call the number at the end, explain it, they ask for the installation id and then activate it without issue.      Might be worth trying at a command prompt:    slui 4     if you haven't already done that.
          I suppose it was never activated, but not sure. I bought it online, it came sealed. The acer help centre told me that the keys are all digitized,hence can't be replicated,let alone activating a software more than once!

Now the answer to the second question:  I tried to activate the OS in the first instance from the original preinstalled version . However, the system threw an exception (0x80004005). It was then that the entire incident described above took place sequentially.

slui 4 is not showing any results instead jumping to the next prompt only. I remember that, it was after the non execution of this command that wmic command was  issued to fetch the 25 character product key, that again didn't work!

And yes, I have installed the OS from (.iso) downloaded afterwards, but the plight remained same.

I am still trying the Slui 4 anyways, if I can fetch the Installation Ids......

Anyways, thanks for the help and still looking forward  to hear from you,

CryWolf.

• XdxD
    Options
    CryWolf said:
    Gawain said:
          I suppose it was never activated, but not sure. I bought it online, it came sealed. The acer help centre told me that the keys are all digitized,hence can't be replicated,let alone activating a software more than once!

Now the answer to the second question:  I tried to activate the OS in the first instance from the original preinstalled version . However, the system threw an exception (0x80004005). It was then that the entire incident described above took place sequentially.

slui 4 is not showing any results instead jumping to the next prompt only. I remember that, it was after the non execution of this command that wmic command was  issued to fetch the 25 character product key, that again didn't work!

And yes, I have installed the OS from (.iso) downloaded afterwards, but the plight remained same.

I am still trying the Slui 4 anyways, if I can fetch the Installation Ids......

Anyways, thanks for the help and still looking forward  to hear from you,

CryWolf.

Did you clean install using the ISO?
  • Gawain
    Options
    this is going to be a long shot, but i see MS only listing 1909 now for their .iso's, and as that hasn't been tried, personally I'd download that, make a bootable .iso, wipe the lot and try one last time (then try to activate before loading any non-MS software, and try slui 4 as MS are pretty shoddy when this can work or not).  If that failed, I'd start hassling Acer as the laptop was in a sealed box, has never successfully activated, and the machine can with 10 from Acer, so if it fails, Acer supplied a laptop without 10 as paid for.
  • XdxD
    Options
    Run this commnd as admin in Command Prompt and paste the output here: slmgr/dlv
  • CryWolf

Tinkerer

Options
    Gawain said:
       Hhahahha. Just as what I was also thinking. But, a factory reset did the trick and after wiping out all personal data and sacrificing the programs that I have downloaded, I now see Windows10 Home activated!

But what has surprised me is that the Product Id this time is entirely different from the one that I have found executing "wmic".

The previous original product key was a 25 character one (from "wmic"), the present product ID (after a factory reset done) that I have fished out from the Settings window is a 20 character ID. Though the system says," Windows is activated". How come? Could it be the (*iso) / the original Windows10 Home ID?  Curious...

CryWolf
  • CryWolf

Tinkerer

Options
    XdxD said:
    Can you try Alt+F10 reset that will bring you back to factory defaults? Do a backup before doing this. Also, try to lean install usi
          Thanks XdxD, the factory reset has worked. Windows10 Home is now activated. But what has surprised me as I have written in the previous post that, the Product ID is a 20 character one instead of 25, tricked out by "wmic". Could it be the (*.iso) or the original Windows 10 Home that came preinstalled?

Thanks for the help,

CryWolf.
  • CryWolf

Tinkerer

Options
    XdxD said:
         Hi XdxD, I am curious to know what this command is for? Shall I run it? Now after the windows being activated?
  • XdxD
    Options
    CryWolf said:
    XdxD said:
         Hi XdxD, I am curious to know what this command is for? Shall I run it? Now after the windows being activated?
    That command will show you your License status as well as License type in description. Product ID is of 20 characters while Product Key is of 25 characters.
  • Gawain
    Answer ✓
    Options
    CryWolf said:
    Gawain said:

CryWolf
    brilliant!  You sorted it!  As for the ID difference, the machine has an OEM version of 10 (basically it is 10, but doesn't have MS support hence it's cheaper coming from Acer than buying a full license direct from MS and does a weird thing with the id within windows, so nothing to worry about).
  • CryWolf

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,

It is the same laptop that had the issue of windows "activation" which is now solved, but Microsoft windows update doesn't work on its own! Well, I mean every time I have to tweak the " Update " Settings to update the OS with new updates coming from MS (and not that all of them can be successfully updated that way...). Before the system shuts down it downloads the updates from relevant sources keep it secure before next reboot , however  in the next reboot phase when the update changes are about to reach 100%, all of a sudden a message is thrown back on the screen saying "Unable to complete updates-- Undoing Changes".

I suppose it possibly could be because of the same reason cited above that MS wouldn't provide support to the OEM purchasers.
     But, if that's the case why do they keep distributing the updates to those PCs that are OEM? Because, it then looks like you may need it.

Up until now the system without any large/ big Software was working normally. But, I need to design websites, so I experiment with software after learning the System Requirements. Only recently I have downloaded Krita (Open source equivalent of Adobe Photoshop), and GIMP. The video goes blank at times, and once it did show an error "windows/ stopcode : Critical Process died" , looked like a BSOD in earlier versions of Windows, to me. I did some patch work by hard rebooting the laptop by pressing the power button for a few seconds. The system did shut down but fortunately came up again.The problem that I now see is that the behind the application icons the background screen goes black when the mouse pointer hovers over them. And I did notice an error in the notification sidebar saying" Display Driver failed to start, using MS Basic Display Driver instead. Check windows update for a newer display driver", I therefore fear that any of the SW(s) could have changed something. I tried to uninstall Intel  Graphics HD 520 from the PC , but the display problem still persists. It would've made the post boring and longer to read many other intermediate steps I've taken so I conclude it here, if I've missed any technical steps for anyone to find a solution, please do write so that I can divulge in detail.

Thanks,

CryWolf
  • XdxD
    Options
    Backup your stuff to some external hard-drive. Download your drivers from here and keep them in the external drive. Follow the clean installation procedure from here (follow the Rufus one mentioned there). Disconnect from internet when the installation part starts. Even though Product Key is tied to your motherboard, use ProduKey (download from here) and note the Product Key in your mobile device. Do the clean installation as per the guide I mentioned. After booting to Windows 10, install all your drivers from Hard-drive. After doing all these steps, connect to internet and sign-in to Microsoft Account. Run Windows Update and let it finish installing the updates. Then check if you have any issues or not.