Swift 1 SF113-31 freezes on startup

StartupFreeze
StartupFreeze Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So we've got this laptop for a year and a half. I don't know why or how but when we try to start it up now it doesn't go past the Acer logo screen. It's the same thing when it says "auto recovery" under it. I've tried the alt+f10 thing and it just stays frozen on the "please wait". I've tried the f2 thing and I get into the menu but only have the time to move to another tab before it freezes. It's not the keyboard or the screen. It does still recognize when I plug and unplug the charger while in this state somehow.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    Shut laptop off. Gently insert a paperclip into the reset pinhole on the bottom for about 10 seconds. Let the machine rest for 15 mins. Plug the charger back in. Then try to turn it on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StartupFreeze
    Didn't change anything.
    Thanks for helping though!
  • JackE
    >>>I've tried the f2 thing and I get into the menu but only have the time to move to another tab before it freezes.>>>

Do the battery pinhole reset again. Then turn the machine back on and immediately (don't wait for the logo screen) start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Don't try to move to another tab. Just press F9 to load defaults, then press F10 to save BIOS settings and exit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StartupFreeze
    When I do that it restarts and I end up back at the logo screen, where it freezes again. Same as before.
  • JackE
    To test the system further, the battery must be disconnected.  Remove 9 screws and pry off cover with a plastic wedge like a credit card starting from the center of the hinge area. Remove battery cable. Then remove screw holding battery in place and remove battery. Then press the bottom cover back on. No need to replace screws at this point. Plug the charger back in. Then try to start the machine again. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• StartupFreeze
    It took a while to get the right screwdrivers.
    Sadly this doesn't make any difference.
  • JackE
    >>>I've tried the alt+f10 thing and it just stays frozen on the "please wait". >>>

Have you tried hitting ALT+F10 immediately after turning the machine on and BEFORE the logo screen appears? If yes, is it still unresponsive on the 'please wait' screen except for pressing and holding the power button till it shuts off? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StartupFreeze
    It is still stuck on the 'please wait' screen, yes.
  • JackE
    Essentially the  same freezing symptom happens with either the ALT+F10 recovery --- or in the BIOS menu ---  or at the ACER logo. My best guess is that one of the memory chips soldered to the mainboard has failed.  Probably a RAM chip. Since it's out of warranty, I suggest that you take it to a repair shop like Codima to get a repair estimate. A mainboard replacement is probably impractical. Sorry. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ