ACER One 10 "Please insert the external media" error while updating Windows 10

AlanJC
AlanJC Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Hello, I need some help.
Two nights ago I updated Windows 10 on my ACER One 10. To do this I needed additional storage space so inserted a USB data stick. The update seemed to run OK, then needed to reboot the computer. At that point, with the USB drive still inserted, it went to a black screen with the message "Please insert the external media and press OK". Pressing OK did nothing. I can't get past that error message. I can shut down the computer by pressing and holding the power button for an extended period. The USB drive is unusable, on my other (Win 8) computer it is not recognised and won't let me access or format it. I have tried booting with a different drive. On older computers I would have tried accessing a boot menu and booting in "Safe mode" to try and correct the problem (eg: roll back to the pre-update state) but I can't find a way to access such a menu.
Does anyone have any advice on getting this computer back into a usable state? It's a useful little device I use when I travel, and I'd like to get it back and usable.

Alan

Answers

• AlanJC
    Update. 

1. I should have said, it's an S1003 device

2. I got a new data stick and created a recovery drive using a Win 10 computer at work. If I install this before booting the device it a) won't boot from it (I've got into BIOS and the boot from USB option is enabled), and b) still won't move from the "insert external media" pop-up box.
  • AlanJC
    Update 2, in case anyone is following (or gets the same error in the future)

1. I found that holding down both the power and volume button for a while during boot-up gives me an additional boot menu (tip I found elsewhere here, in relation to S1001 version). This gives me option to boot from the USB (an option to "boot from file")

2. Back at work, and I downloaded the Win10 installation tool onto USB, which I can now boot from (see 1)

3. A fresh Win10 installation ... but I now don't have WiFi, touchscreen etc. Downloaded the drivers, but I can't get them to install.

4. During the Win10 installation I was offered 4 partitions I could use to install on (only one of which would work, which is where Win10 was already installed). One of those was a recovery partition ... which implies that I should be able to access that for a recovery of the original configuration. But, I can't see how to do that.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    The initial problem is because Windows wants a SD card, not a flash drive at that point. I have no idea why, but they do.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AlanJC
    Yes, I'd found lots of advise on how to prevent the initial problem - including using an SD card, turn off AV before update etc. Not a lot of use after the event though!

If I get it fixed and working again I will be investing in an SD.