Internal Webcam works fine and then becomes dark all of a sudden (Acer Aspire 3)

Harry534
Harry534 Member Posts: 1 New User
I have had this bizarre issue for the past month where every time I switch on my laptop, and use my webcam, it is completely fine. I'll have a skype call and it works fine, but if I have to reconnect with the call, my webcam suddenly becomes dark (almost pitch black). The odd thing is that the next day the webcam will work completely fine, but then have the same issue where it will get darker. 

I don't understand what the issue is (how it can work and then get dark all of a sudden, and then reset?). I have tried to reinstall drivers and common troubleshooting methods for webcams that don't work, but my webcam does work sometimes.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. I'm using windows 10, and as I mentioned have an Aspire 3 laptop. I also teach online so a webcam is necessary for my work, so it's urgent, thank you!

Answers

• KirstyM
    KirstyM Member Posts: 2 New User
    We too are having the problem with a faulty camera: we bought the laptop today with a view to using it for Skype meetings and teaching music online, and the camera was working well then suddenly went dark. Please help! 
  • ceegeemusik
    ceegeemusik Member Posts: 1 New User
    I recently bought Acer Aspire 3 and am having problem with the webcam...it juss turns BlueBlack whilst am on Zoom Meeting or Skype!!! First time it happened I took the laptop to the shop where I bought it and they told me that they had updated the Software and it should work properly... Its unfortunate that its still doing the same thing and to be honest its ***** me off😡 coz I have to revisit my old laptop which still works so perfect.

HOW CAN THIS PROBLEM BE SOLVED???

• Annasd
    Annasd Member Posts: 4 New User
    I'm having the same camera issues for Acer 3. I've just bought it last Dec. and I can use it. The only thing though is I don't like the quality for a higher grade core i5 laptop. My previous laptop for 5 years, core i3 has much better video quality. Now, I tried to use it for Zoom meeting and it's not working at all. This is so frustrating especially during this times of crisis that there's lockdown and I can't bring this laptop to the store where I bought it.
  • hoco27
    hoco27 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi!! 

This is the same issue I started having when i used zoom or any webcam program. For it to work properly, I need to restart the computer just so that it works again. So that means there is a startup issue? Also when I go to the Camera program in windows when I click onthe refresh rates. that fixes the problem for the Window Camera Program, it goes back to normal. But only for that program, not on ZOOM. I still need to shut down and turn on again. (Restart button doesnt work either) There must be a software solution to this. Any leads?
  • Neriel
    Neriel Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem with my Aspire 3 of the internal webcam works well in natural  daylight. But becomes very dark in any artificial light, even when the room is fully lit. I've uninstalled the VGA Driver and restarted the laptop.
    No change. Still goes very dark. I tested it in on https://pt.webcamtests.com/
    Lightness:0.20%
    Brightness:0.08%
    Brightness:0.13%
    Please can someone help? 
  • glol
    glol Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem here, with my Aspire 3. Zoom works well, but when I use Skype, it suddenly go dark (after a message that sounds like "network performance is low", I'm translating from Italian). The problem is, after that, every app I use with the camera is dark. I restart the laptop, nothing changes. Next day, everything works well, but then I open Skype and it goes back to dark after awhile!
    I don't know what to do anymore
  • AussiePhil
    AussiePhil Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same issue ACER 3 - Aspire +Windows 10 Home.
    Videocons start off OK, then camera goes very dark. Tried all the usual things, driver re-installs, off-on, Skype camera settings... nothing works.
    Come on ACER - come clean with the fix PLEASE!

• Ashburnham
    Ashburnham Member Posts: 5 New User
    Same issue here. Webcam fine in Zoom meeting. Move to new Zoom meeting and webcam has gone dark.

Tried an tested way of sorting it out is to uninstall the device in device manager and then restart the laptop. It then works fine after the restart until the issue above happens again.

Can't carry on like this, I need this laptop for meetings constantly. Might have to return this laptop based on what is surely a simple software fix Acer. Please help!
  • Ndyebo
    Ndyebo Member Posts: 1 New User
    There is a serious problem with the ACER webcam and we have tried everything to sort it and its the same problem everytime and that I notice everyone is complaining about. One meeting the camera is fine and the next is dark 
  • vedder67
    vedder67 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Atari said:
    Found a solution for the webcam. Just go into the camera app then go to settings and change the "flicker reduction" from 50Hz to 60Hz. Hope this helps!
    Great! 
    I tried too and and I confirm that the problem disappears!
    Thanks!
  • jamjbebs0714
    jamjbebs0714 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Yes me too i have the same problem, mostly too many issues for acer aspire3 like speaker and mic. I also bought it on December2019 and felt sad of having these issues. I tried what Atari suggested for cam problems and it works even I tried the zoom app right after I change to 60Hz...thanks!
  • @jamjbebs0714 Ideally, you should create a new topic and add me by placing an @.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Robc990
    Robc990 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Atari said:
    Found a solution for the webcam. Just go into the camera app then go to settings and change the "flicker reduction" from 50Hz to 60Hz. Hope this helps!
    Hi there, I have just bought the Aspire 3 and found the same problem with the webcam going dark after about 40 mins use. This happens to me when zoom stops or if I run the webcam in the camera app.I followed Atari's advice also, I have tried it in the camera app and the webcam works correctly now. I will try zoom tomorrow and hopefully that is now sorted as well. 
    Many thanks to Atari for this solution to a very irritating problem.
    Regards
    Rob
  • @Robc990Ideally, you should create a new topic and add me by placing an @.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TrinityJMF
    TrinityJMF Member Posts: 2 New User
    Atari said:
    This solves the issue for me
  • Aims
    Aims Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thank you Atari... Laptop did this twice and I had no idea why. Seems to be solved now! Cheers
  • Snoopwogg
    Snoopwogg Member Posts: 1 New User
    Atari said:
    This needs to be on the top of the pile! Thank you Atari, seems to have fixed mine too. ps - My issue was happening using Zoom
  • Vylexxy
    Vylexxy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Atari said:
    this.. finally a real solution, thank you. Works very well, i think it something acer should fix, but this manually helps it, thank you Atari
  • DAQ41
    DAQ41 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I like many others have had this problem.  I was delighted to see Atari’s solution in November, but I do not know how to access my camera app and settings - can someone advise please?  This is Acer Aspire 3, about 9 months old.  I cannot find it by going to laptop settings, nor in Program Files.  Thanks