What’s this silver colored layer? Helios 500

Pordan
Pordan Member Posts: 11 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Anyone knows what’s this silver colored layer around my gpu die is? I was cleaning the old dried up thermal paste and a little amount of it got under there? Would that be a problem or should I try taking it out by lifting it?

Answers

• Hi,
    It's to protect other components from thermal compound overflowing (like liquid metal) if it's a little bit of thermal compound, you can leave it and clean it next time around or if you are not going to repaste for a longer period, just lift it and remove the left over paste.
  • Pordan
    Hi,
    It's to protect other components from thermal compound overflowing (like liquid metal) if it's a little bit of thermal compound, you can leave it and clean it next time around or if you are not going to repaste for a longer period, just lift it and remove the left over paste.
    thanks for the reply. i found out that the metal thing on top could be lifted so i just removed that silver layered tape like thing. i can't repaste it though. there was a lot of old thermal paste stuck between the gpu pins. anyway, what are those things called? am i fine applying new thermal paste without that?
    im not planning on using liquid metal though.
  • Hi,
    I think you can remove the larger square tape around the CPU(Red) but not sure about removing the CPU cover(yellow rectangle), could you please post the full model name of the laptop.
  • Pordan
    Hi,
    I think you can remove the larger square tape around the CPU(Red) but not sure about removing the CPU cover(yellow rectangle), could you please post the full model name of the laptop.
    Sure. Sorry for the late reply
    It’s the Helios 500 PH517-51 I think. The CPU (you can see it’s on the right side)in my laptop doesn’t have any tape on it . The GPU had this square shaped tape covering the area beside the GPU die and it was also with adhesive. I removed it btw afterwards. I saw many laptop repair videos and none of them had anything similar to it on their cpu/gpu die which makes me think it’s not as important as I thought it was. I’m going to repaste it with new thermal paste soon.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,441 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    Pordan said:
    Hi,
    It’s the Helios 500 PH517-51 I think. The CPU (you can see it’s on the right side)in my laptop doesn’t have any tape on it . The GPU had this square shaped tape covering the area beside the GPU die and it was also with adhesive. I removed it btw afterwards. I saw many laptop repair videos and none of them had anything similar to it on their cpu/gpu die which makes me think it’s not as important as I thought it was. I’m going to repaste it with new thermal paste soon.
    Hi,
    It's OK, why don't you reuse the tape? I think it's there to protect the metal contact with the heat sink, yes, I can see the tape around the GPU but not around the CPU, so I guess the tape is for some sort of protection.

• Pordan
    Pordan said:
    Hi,
    Hi,
    It's OK, why don't you reuse the tape? I think it's there to protect the metal contact with the heat sink, yes, I can see the tape around the GPU but not around the CPU, so I guess the tape is for some sort of protection.

I can’t reuse it because I didn’t know the steel lid could be detached so I was trying to lift the layer to get the old thermal paste out and while doing it I ended up damaging the tape like thingy. so I decided to remove it completely. because it got torn to the point where I felt like couldn’t reuse it
  • Pordan
    Pordan said:
    Pordan said:
    Hi,
    Hi,

I can’t reuse it because I didn’t know the steel lid could be detached so I was trying to lift the layer to get the old thermal paste out and while doing it I ended up damaging the tape like thingy. so I decided to remove it completely. because it got torn to the point where I felt like couldn’t reuse it
    Also forgot to mention that the pin area of the gpu already had some thermal paste stuck on it. Not sure if they accidentally put the paste on there as well and then put that square shaped tape on or it got under there after applying the thermal paste. But there was no way I could get all the previous paste out without removing the tape. I did try but ended up putting more under there and I felt like if I try to remove old paste with that tape on, I could end up damaging the gpu board.
  • brummyfan2
    edited November 2019
    OK, if you have thermal pads like in this video, you should be fine but to make sure I would prefer to apply some non-conductive electrical tapes cut to size, I would advice against taking off the lid on the GPU, good luck with your repasting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph2ibK79zd8
  • Pordan said:
    Pordan said:
    Pordan said:
    Hi,
    Hi,

Also forgot to mention that the pin area of the gpu already had some thermal paste stuck on it. Not sure if they accidentally put the paste on there as well and then put that square shaped tape on or it got under there after applying the thermal paste. But there was no way I could get all the previous paste out without removing the tape. I did try but ended up putting more under there and I felt like if I try to remove old paste with that tape on, I could end up damaging the gpu board.
    I think that you don't need to worry about the thermal paste on the pins, as long as you clean the top of the GPU where it makes contact with the heat sink thoroughly, you should be fine.
  • Pordan
    OK, if you have thermal pads like in this video, you should be fine but to make sure I would prefer to apply some non-conductive electrical tapes cut to size, I would advice against taking off the lid on the GPU, good luck with your repasting.
    Maybe I’ll get some Kapton tape to use as a replacement. Is it ok if I cover the pins with tape or should I avoid that area?
    I did some research and found that those kind of things are used to make sure if people use liquid metal, it doesn’t reach the other part of the board because it will damage the whole system because of it being conductive. I guess I will be fine if I stick to using non conductive thermal paste.
    Also it might sound stupid, but does the whole gpu/cpu board generate heat or it’s only the dies? 
    Thanks for the help 
  • Pordan said:
    Maybe I’ll get some Kapton tape to use as a replacement. Is it ok if I cover the pins with tape or should I avoid that area?
    I did some research and found that those kind of things are used to make sure if people use liquid metal, it doesn’t reach the other part of the board because it will damage the whole system because of it being conductive. I guess I will be fine if I stick to using non conductive thermal paste.
    Also it might sound stupid, but does the whole gpu/cpu board generate heat or it’s only the dies? 
    Thanks for the help 
    No problem, it's safe to use tape to cover the area which was covered by the original tape, yes, I also thought the tape was to protect other components from liquid metal, I can not comment about whether the die or the board  producing heat because I don't know.
  • Pordan
    Pordan said:
    Thanks for the help 
    No problem, it's safe to use tape to cover the area which was covered by the original tape, yes, I also thought the tape was to protect other components from liquid metal, I can not comment about whether the die or the board  producing heat because I don't know.
    On a second thought, do you think it’ll be safe to use thermal pad instead of tape to cover that area? It’s a thermal pad with 6.0 w/mK conductivity. I can’t use it as a single piece though so I have to cut out a few to sizes and then use.
  • brummyfan2
    edited November 2019
    Hi,
    It's hard for me to suggest which one to choose, it's trial and error method you have to follow, so you have to try with the tape first and see how it goes but definitely you have to use a non-conductive tape.