Acer Aspire 5536-5224 doesn't start software

jbojorquez
jbojorquez Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Power works. Fan spin is good. You can hear hard drive working. Screen doesn't turn on. There's no visual nor audio. This has happened 3 times in about 8 years. Each time I've had the hard drive replaced. I just want it fixed. Please help. @egydiocoelho

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    If you can, try an external monitor. I assume from your description you also don't see the splash screen? If you shine a flashlight on the screen from an angle can you see faintly the normal stuff? We need to determine if it's a display problem or an OS/HDD problem...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• I will invite colleagues to check out this topic as well. @JackE @billsey @xapim
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    If you can, try an external monitor. I assume from your description you also don't see the splash screen? If you shine a flashlight on the screen from an angle can you see faintly the normal stuff? We need to determine if it's a display problem or an OS/HDD problem...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jbojorquez

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    I'll try this next then. Though I've tried connecting to a few external displays. Not the light thing. I've only seen Louis Rossman do this on Macs.
  • jbojorquez

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    I tried that. I couldn't see anything.
    Would screws matter?? I heard they're important. Like every single one is important.
  • billsey
    Unlikely for the screws to be much of a factor, worse case with a screw is either the display is flexed in ways it shouldn't or a screw is caught under the display and it cracks. Since the flashlight trick didn't show anything it's probably not the display back light. There is still a possibility the problem is in the cable between the display and motherboard. Because you don't see the splash screen the problem either is the display or the motherboard is toast. If it were an issue with the HDD we'd see the splash, if it were with the power we wouldn't hear the drive spin up. It sounds like you hear more from the drive than just it's normal POST, which leads us toward the display.
  • jbojorquez

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Unlikely for the screws to be much of a factor, worse case with a screw is either the display is flexed in ways it shouldn't or a screw is caught under the display and it cracks. Since the flashlight trick didn't show anything it's probably not the display back light. There is still a possibility the problem is in the cable between the display and motherboard. Because you don't see the splash screen the problem either is the display or the motherboard is toast. If it were an issue with the HDD we'd see the splash, if it were with the power we wouldn't hear the drive spin up. It sounds like you hear more from the drive than just it's normal POST, which leads us toward the display.
    Hmm... Ok. Does the motherboard have to look burnt/toast in order for it to be such? I took it all apart completely and everything looked fine. Brand spanking new in fact. Probably the only thing that looked questionable was a part of the motherboard that's very close to the charging port but it just looks a little discolored instead of damaged. Anything I should look for that could be causing this black screen problem? Or should I just take it in to get inspected for $100 bucks?
  • billsey
    Sorry for being slow, I've been out of town this week. The best diagnostic step at this point is to really verify the external monitor doesn't work at all. By default when Windows loads it will not display on a second screen. You wait until Windows has loaded to the login prompt and hit Windows-P, then cursor down once and hit enter. That deselect the PC Only and selects Duplicate screen on external monitor. If the login prompt shows up we've verified the problem is a display problem and you can log in to Windows and do some wandering around to verify everything else seems to be OK too. Once you are comfortable there's nothing wrong except the display there's a path to a solution. If instead the second monitor shows nothing then the problem is likely the motherboard and the fix just got a bunch more expensive. I wouldn't spend $100 for diagnostics unless I were fairly sure the total bill, including the motherboard swap, wasn't going to be much higher. That laptop isn't really worth much more than the $100 range since it was originally a Vista machine, meaning the release date on your model was likely 2006 or 2007.
  • jbojorquez

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    billsey said:
    Sorry for being slow, I've been out of town this week. The best diagnostic step at this point is to really verify the external monitor doesn't work at all. By default when Windows loads it will not display on a second screen. You wait until Windows has loaded to the login prompt and hit Windows-P, then cursor down once and hit enter. That deselect the PC Only and selects Duplicate screen on external monitor. If the login prompt shows up we've verified the problem is a display problem and you can log in to Windows and do some wandering around to verify everything else seems to be OK too. Once you are comfortable there's nothing wrong except the display there's a path to a solution. If instead the second monitor shows nothing then the problem is likely the motherboard and the fix just got a bunch more expensive. I wouldn't spend $100 for diagnostics unless I were fairly sure the total bill, including the motherboard swap, wasn't going to be much higher. That laptop isn't really worth much more than the $100 range since it was originally a Vista machine, meaning the release date on your model was likely 2006 or 2007.
    Hey! So I tried this yesterday. Didn't work. What do you guys think it is?
  • Have you tried pressing the power button for thirty seconds?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jbojorquez

Tinkerer

Have you tried pressing the power button for thirty seconds?
    Lol come on man. Really??
  • This procedure discharges static energy. So it's a valid procedure, but to do that, you must disconnect the lithium battery.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jbojorquez

Tinkerer

This procedure discharges static energy. So it's a valid procedure, but to do that, you must disconnect the lithium battery.
    What I meant was I've already been through all those basics and then some. I've completely undone my laptop as well. Still can't figure out what the problem is. Power, fan, and hard drive work, but there's no visual nor audio.