Acer Aspire E 15 – E5-523G-958X : Slow, laggy and grainy to use

Nice4What
Nice4What Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Had many issues with this laptop since I got it in Apr 2018. Lesson learned about ACER. But that's another story.

It has next to nothing on it in terms of its supposed ability.

The last 2 months or so it has slowed down.There's a delay in everything I do. I can't go smoothly from one tab to another, typing there's a little delay. Opening a YouTube video, for example, the audio will start before the page has loaded and the little timer on the widow tab freezes. Everything goes gray on the screen. See below. This happens for 3-5 seconds and then it settles. Spotify does the same. Slow and laggy. Opening Google Docs or Drive takes a long time. This is basic stuff I expect to be faster.

I have CCleaned it a few times. I have one person using it. I have one log in and no other users open. I am a light user. Can anyone advise me?

I feel like wiping it all and formatting it to ground zero.

See 

Answers

• Hi,
    Could you please tell us whether you have 2.5" Spinner HDD or a SSD, how much RAM you have, how much of your HDD/SSD being used, in the meantime, don't use the Registry cleaner in CCleaner program.
    Go to CMD admin, type cmd at start, right click and select Run as Admin.
    Type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter, that will clear any unused entries.
  • Nice4What
    Here is the spec.
  • Nice4What
    Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Now what?

Ta.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,255 Trailblazer
    Give us a screen shot of Task Manager in the Performance tab.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Nice4What
    Here you go: 
  • billsey
    Notice the Disk? 100%... There's something hammering the disk and until that releases things are going to be slow. Do you have an anti-virus that might be scanning?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Nice4What
    Windows security is my anti-virus.

What else can it be? What else can I show you to see what is being used?
  • billsey
    Windows Defender does do scans periodically, so it could potentially have been scanning at that point. From Task Manager on the Performance tab there should be a link to open Resource Manager. There you can see just what is actually using the disk resources. I usually sort mine by total B/sec, ATM Firefox is my biggie at 190K/sec disk usage.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,279 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    Slowness over a period of 2 months and 100% load is very unusual, as windows updates or any updates don't last that long (unless you have a very slow internet connection and only use a dial up) or your internet modem/router is buggy and has a problem, so, have a look at that first, remember, that checking the simplest causes first, are things that many people don't do and can get their system corrupted by doing unnecessary things to either their software or hardware. 

But, if all the above steps don't work, then the problems that you are encountering seem to be bottlenecks of software/hardware but, its more likely that its that 5400rpm spinner hard drive (especially with that 100% load, which is usual for a long period of time or anytime) try to defragment the HDD and do a ''Disk Cleanup" and a "Cleanup system files" looking at the windows update stored files there, and delete them. My advice, as I've had this problem for a long time with many computers and laptops with those 5400rpm spinner hard drives (especially as they get older) is, get yourself an SSD (they are not as expensive as they use to be) and you can use that 1TB HDD as a backup drive or a slave drive (it wont go to waste) as it will save you allot of headaches and problems in this regard. 

I've used Samsung for a long time and never ever had any problems, their newest SSD 2.5 drivers are the 960 EVO or Pro, which are lighting fast and very easy to install, as they come with their own Samsung and specific "Data Migration Software" which makes the transfer of your bootable Windows 10 OS very easy and simple. 
  • Nice4What
    If I do a disk clean up on downloads for example, does it wipe the entire contents of the folder?

I also have to say I am grateful for the help but I am a simple internet user and some of the advice is going over my head. 

I am losing patience with my laptop as everything has a delay. 

Can anyone explain to me in the simplest way on how to ensure the slow, sludgy, grainy nature of my browsing ends?
  • Nice4What
    I have ran malwarebytes and quarantined 11 things.

I got an update from Microsoft and done it.

I cleaned my disk and fragmented. Optimized. analyzed.

Still grainy and absolutely brutal to use.

And to make it funnier, I got this again:

the qualcomm atheros qca9377 wireless network adapter is experiencing driver or hardware problems

This is now a regular occurrence and takes about 30 mins to resolve.
  • Nice4What
    I want to add that it seems to be worse. It takes longer to open things and even basic stuff like the screen to log on to the actual laptop goes a bit blurry and stutters to allow me to put my details in.

Before I set fire to this piece of ****, what else can I do?