Predator Helios 300 - Motherboard Burned AND WARRANTY REFUSED!

Jerin
Jerin Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello to everyone,
I am from India and in July 2019 I purchased a Acer Predator Helios 300 from Flipkart India. At the beginning of November 2019, without any notice the laptop refused to be turned on, it did not react when connected to its charger. I would like to point out that the computer is stationary on a desk. I called Flipkart India and they told me to contact Acer for Warranty then i contacted Acer Customer Support through phone call and told them exactly what issue i am facing then they told me wait for 2 - 3 days we will send an engineer to check what issue you are having. After 2 days the engineer came and he opened the laptop and inspected the whole laptop and told me that the motherboard is burned and it is out of warranty. So it is impossible to perform a warranty repair because this is not a factory fault! What the...

You can imagine my extreme disappointment and anger that I have invested 80000 Rs. in one of the most popular and strong laptops and for 4 months normal operation this laptop is unusable! 
Could you please advice me what to do, since I haven't done anything to this laptop except playing rarely games and using it for work?
I will attach the image from the service
Thanks a lot in advance,
Jerin 

Edited the thread to hide personal/sensitive information.
Acer-Samuel

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,328 Pathfinder
    Jerin 
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Primarily the community is a place where members can exchange their own advice, ideas, articles with knowledge and troubleshooting techniques etc. The Acer community is not design for direct customer support consultation, or complaints. 
    Please contact Acer support in your region and they will be happy to help you.

You can escalate the case to the concerned Acer authorities in your region and get the issue resolved. Here's the Acer support network weblink  for your region. Click on " Support Escalation Matrix" at the top right corner and download the details.  Contact the concerned support in your state to escalate the case and they will be happy to address your concerns. 
    Acer India support network : Acer India Support Network
    Acer India support :  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/service-contact
    Acer worldwide : http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/ 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Jerin

Tinkerer

Sharanji said:
    Jerin 
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Primarily the community is a place where members can exchange their own advice, ideas, articles with knowledge and troubleshooting techniques etc. The Acer community is not design for direct customer support consultation, or complaints. 
    Please contact Acer support in your region and they will be happy to help you.

You can escalate the case to the concerned Acer authorities in your region and get the issue resolved. Here's the Acer support network weblink  for your region. Click on " Support Escalation Matrix" at the top right corner and download the details.  Contact the concerned support in your state to escalate the case and they will be happy to address your concerns. 
    Acer India support network : Acer India Support Network
    Acer India support :  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/service-contact
    Acer worldwide : http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/ 

Hello Sir, I came here because i was not getting the help that i expected from Acer in my region. They told me they would not replace the Motherboard cause it was burned and it is not covered under warranty. I was using the laptop normally and it had been only 4 months since i purchased it. The laptop used to heat up a lot and when asked the acer customer support got a answer that it's normal for Acer Predator to reach high temperatures upto 98C. The system will shutdown itself before damaging any components.I just can't understand where is the customer's fault here.I thought if someone from Acer see's this they might help.. That's why i posted it here..
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,328 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Jerin said:
    Hello Sir, I came here because i was not getting the help that i expected from Acer in my region. They told me they would not replace the Motherboard cause it was burned and it is not covered under warranty. I was using the laptop normally and it had been only 4 months since i purchased it. The laptop used to heat up a lot and when asked the acer customer support got a answer that it's normal for Acer Predator to reach high temperatures upto 98C. The system will shutdown itself before damaging any components.I just can't understand where is the customer's fault here.I thought if someone from Acer see's this they might help.. That's why i posted it here..

Please try to escalate the case to the concerned Acer authorities in your region and get the issue resolved. Follow the " Support Escalation Matrix" in the above weblink "Acer India support network" to get help from next level of support.

If you still face any issues,  please send me a private to message to Acer-Manny with the serial number of your unit
    https://community.acer.com/en/messages/add/Acer-Manny

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,276 Trailblazer
    Sir, firstly sorry to hear your misfortune but, if  Acer India Support Network cant and/or wont cover this under warranty then you could take this matter up with a consumer affairs department in your area! By the looks of things, the circuitry looks like its burned out at the DC Jack Power Charging Port Socket side of your Acer Predator Helios 300, this could be due to a power surge while you were charging it and you didn't use a power surge protected power board, as motherboards don't just 'go pop' and burn out. 
  • Jerin

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Sir, firstly sorry to hear your misfortune but, if  Acer India Support Network cant and/or wont cover this under warranty then you could take this matter up with a consumer affairs department in your area! By the looks of things, the circuitry looks like its burned out at the DC Jack Power Charging Port Socket side of your Acer Predator Helios 300, this could be due to a power surge while you were charging it and you didn't use a power surge protected power board, as motherboards don't just 'go pop' and burn out. 
    Dear Sir, It is not burned at the DC Jack Power Charging Port Socket side of my Acer Predator Helios 300,It is burned on top side of motherboard under the heatsink near the fan and i use a good power surge protector. So i think power surge can't be the cause.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,254 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    @Acer-Manny, @Acer-Jose, @Acer-Karp this thread its related to some posts in the other thread where i tagged you in is there anything that can be done here as these warranty refusal issues seem to happen a lot in India only as i havent seen this happening anywhere else that i can recall anyway im just wondering :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Jerin

Tinkerer

xapim said:
    @Acer-Manny, @Acer-Jose, @Acer-Karp this thread its related to some posts in the other thread where i tagged you in is there anything that can be done here as these warranty refusal issues seem to happen a lot in India only as i havent seen this happening anywhere else that i can recall anyway im just wondering :)
    Thankyou soo much @xapim sir for tagging the people who can help me out on this.I have seen @Acer-Manny sir helping people get warranty on these kind of cases. I just hope he can help me out too. Thankyou..
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,254 Pathfinder
    Jerin said:
    xapim said:
    Thankyou soo much @xapim sir for tagging the people who can help me out on this.I have seen @Acer-Manny sir helping people get warranty on these kind of cases. I just hope he can help me out too. Thankyou..
    Jerin Youre welcome im just trying to find out a solution in the best way possible :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    where is the burnt part on the m/b. ? can you encircle it.

power surge will damage the adapter. not the motherboard.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • Jerin

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Dear Sir, It is not burned at the DC Jack Power Charging Port Socket side of my Acer Predator Helios 300,It is burned on top side of motherboard under the heatsink near the fan and i use a good power surge protector sir. So it power surge can't be the cause.
  • Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    Jerin said:
    xapim said:
    I am sorry you are having an issue with your unit. I have sent you a private message asking for the SN of your unit. Please reply.
    minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • Jerin

Tinkerer

where is the burnt part on the m/b. ? can you encircle it.

power surge will damage the adapter. not the motherboard.
    It is burned near the fans sir.

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    That looks like solder flux. it does not look like burnt marks. can you take a pic of what component is on the other side of motherboard, at that exact location.?
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • Jerin

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    I forgot to post it here that 4 months ago after giving me a hard time for 2 months getting the laptop's warranty just cause the motherboard got burned automatically during normal usage Acer finally accepted my laptop as in warranty and gave me a new laptop instead because there were some problem getting the replacement motherboard.The new laptop works better than the previous one it doesn't heat up like the old one. I am using it right now and it's working good from last 4 months and i hope it doesn't give up on me like the last one did  =) or Acer is there to help me out  =) .
    Thanks everyone who responded to my post and tried to help me and THANK YOU ACER FOR THE NEW LAP... <3
  • KARANPREET
    KARANPREET Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited June 2020
    i also facing face same problem ,, my motherboard got burned right below heatsink ,, and company saying it cannot be replaced under warranty due to dompany policy.please help me out  someone , i m in very much tension .
  • KARANPREET
    KARANPREET Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

this is my motherboard 
  • Jerin

Tinkerer

edited June 2020

this is my motherboard 
    Why does it look like liquid metal? Have you used liquid metal as thermal paste? And can you tell me exactly what you did before your laptop got burned?