Electrical short when connecting to printer via USB - Acer Aspire R15

andymaroney
andymaroney Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I had a rather scary experience yesterday when trying to connect my Canon printer to the USB port of my Acer Aspire R15. For some reason, as soon as I plugged in the USB cable to the laptop there was a large spark and I suddenly smelled a burning electrical smell. The printer has functioned fine for several years and still prints fine via Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, the laptop went completely dark, with the exception of two blue lights on the front side, which have now also gone dark. It will not power up, whether connected to AC power or battery. What is my next course of action? 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Sorry to say there's likely not a lot you can do at this point. Something pretty obviously got fried. The blue lights show battery and power status, I believe. Sounds like the battery continued to discharge after the event, perhaps the laptop was still running, but not showing the screen. When you plug the charger in do you get any lights?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andymaroney
    andymaroney Member Posts: 2 New User
    Lights have now gone out due to the battery being depleted, apparently. Plugged into charger...no lights anymore. I believe it is a brick.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    It sure doesn't sound good. :( Do you have a meter that can measure the output voltage on the power supply?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.