Aspire ES-15 Stuck In Bios

cheeseburger
cheeseburger Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I recently changed the Windows options to make it boot into safe mode using instructions similar to https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode. Now, after the laptop reboots, it goes straight into BIOS. When I exit BIOS, the laptop restarts and goes back into BIOS. It doesn't seem like the boot loader even loads.

What I've tried:
1. change the boot option on the BIOS from UEFI to legacy
2. remove the hard drive
3. change the boot order to boot from USB first. I tried booting from a live linux distro USB drive that is known to boot on other machines
4. power cycle
5. make sure that the system date time in BIOS is current
6. make sure that the CMOS battery is connected and still works

I'm out of ideas. Hoping someone can help. The laptop is an Aspire ES1-523-44LU.

Answers

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi cheeseburger

Try to disable secure boot and check the issue.
    Disable secure boot/fast boot - Save. Reboot BIOS. Enable CMS Boot - Drives are should be bootable now.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    For Windows 10 you need it in UEFI mode.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cheeseburger
    Tom2019 said:
    Hi cheeseburger

Disable secure boot/fast boot - Save. Reboot BIOS. Enable CMS Boot - Drives are should be bootable now.
    The option to disable secure boot is not available. It's greyed out at "Enabled". Any idea why?

• cheeseburger
    billsey said:
    For Windows 10 you need it in UEFI mode.
    Yes but did you read #3 in the original post where it said I tried to boot from a known working linux distro on a USB drive? Doesn't explain why it wouldn't boot that way either.
  • cheeseburger
    Tom2019 said:
    Hi cheeseburger

The option to disable secure boot is not available. It's greyed out at "Enabled". Any idea why?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    On some models you don't have access to disable Secure boot without first setting an Admin password for the BIOS.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.