AN515-53-55G9 SSD almost full

Bobvjr
Bobvjr Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Nitro AN515-53-55G9 with a M.2 2280 256 GB SSD that is almost full.  Is it better to replace this drive with a larger one or add a secondary drive such as a SATA SSD or SATA HHD?  If so for a secondary drive, would a secondary SSD have an advantage over a secondary HHD?  I primary need the space to add additional games to the laptop.  Appreciate the input

Best Answer

• Mainerunr
    Mainerunr Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    You could do either.  I prefer applications to be on the primary drive with data on a secondary (music, video, photos, etc) but that is personal preference.  More work to swap your existing drive for a larger one.  If adding, I would add an SSD, yeah, they are more expensive but no moving parts and I believe they draw less power.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You need to use M.2 SSD as a boot drive and 2.5" HDD for storage, but storing games SSD may help loading games slightly faster. Please read the link for more detail information:https://techguided.com/ssd-vs-hdd-gaming/
  • Mainerunr
    Mainerunr Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    You could do either.  I prefer applications to be on the primary drive with data on a secondary (music, video, photos, etc) but that is personal preference.  More work to swap your existing drive for a larger one.  If adding, I would add an SSD, yeah, they are more expensive but no moving parts and I believe they draw less power.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    It will be cleaner and faster to replace the existing M.2 SATA drive with a larger one, the 1TB drives are reasonably cheap these days. Be sure and configure the cloning software to only resize the C: partition though, if you leave it on auto-resize it'll often break booting since it will resize the EFI and Recovery partitions. One thing to think about though is why you're running out of room on the existing drive. Have you tried a tool like CCleaner to free up space? What is using the space? If the bulk of the files taking up room are music, videos, documents, downloads and the like then you may want to just offload those or delete older stuff that you're not using.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • navi007
    navi007 Member Posts: 1 New User
     you leave it on auto-resize it'll often break booting since it will resize the EFI and Recovery partitions. One thing to think about though is why you're running out of room on the existing drive. Have you tried a tool like CCleaner to free up space? But if you are looking for Best RTX 2070 Super for better you should visit there ----> https://www.thenora.co.uk/best-rtx-2070-super-graphic-cards/
  • techmoog
    techmoog Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    Hi
    Secendory drive have lot of issue and erro if you need to learn about geforce experience please visit this