How do I increase dedicated video memory?(ik its been asked many times but this is situational)

rainndrops
rainndrops Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have just bought a 16gb ram stick($50)for my Acer Aspire 5 A515-51-75UY. I bought it so that I could multitask with multiple windows and programs open at the same time.(ik i could just buy a new computer or a gpu but im broke) But also I thought I could use it for the integrated graphics for gaming(sounds dumb right?) because since it’s a shared memory component. I’ve tried going through the bios to see if I could change it but it seems like there isnt an option. I was wondering if it its possible to increase the dedicated memory because I currently have 128mb dedicated even though I have a whole 20gb installed and I want to use at least 8gbs. If anyone is curious what game im trying to optimize, I want to optimize Rainbow Six Siege(yes i can run it). Thanks

Answers

• rainndrops
    edited October 2019
    P.S. Ive heard people say that the computer will use more memory if it needs to, yet in most of the games ive tested, im running on average 40 frames(on low settings) and it drops on higher settings yet only 10-15% (according to task manager)of the memory is being used and the integrated graphics has a 4% usage rate. Shouldnt it use more memory and increase perfomance(maybe)? Idk im not an expert on this, im just assuming. Maybe my machine isnt supposed to be able to handle what im trying to make it do. :/
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer
    As a rule of thumb, the video adapter will use up to about 10% of whatever free RAM is left after loading all the system files plus whatever apps, virus scanners and games you also have loaded/running at the same time. I'm guessing on your system it might be about 1GB tops. 40fps is sorta common without a dedicated GPU.  You might squeeze a bit more out of it by pairing down what gets loaded but probably not much. This is not considered a gaming laptop. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rainndrops
    Also when i check on task manager for the graphics driver it says that im using x/9.9gb for shared gpu memory. Even when i try to increase my graphics settings, x gbs im using will probably go up by a couple decimals. So is it not supposed use more?
  • JackE
    What's 'x'?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rainndrops
    X is just any number, the amount of memory being used at the current time
  • JackE
    What's the highest you've seen? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rainndrops
    I dont know the highest but i have my computer on right now with Rainbow Six Siege open(no other games or intensive programs) and its at 0.8/9.9 gb shared gpu memory.
  • JackE
    That sounds about right to me if about 10GB out of 20GB total is being used. You might be able to squeeze out a bit more by cutting way back on whatever else is being loaded at boot time. But you're trying overcome the inherent design limitations of an integrated graphics.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rainndrops
    So basically what i have right now cant be change besides cutting out programs from startup?
  • JackE
    For demanding games, ControlPanel power plan should be set to max performance, charger plugged in and battery near 100%  charged BEFORE loading/playing.  Also, any non-Microsoft virus scanners like McAfee, Nortons, AVG, malwarebytes should be uninstalled, not just disabled, along with other apps that aren't really needed. These measures are even needed on gaming laptops like the nitros, predators & helios for heavy duty graphics intensive play. If still not good enough, then folks should be looking at desktops, not laptops. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• rainndrops
    Ok cool. Thanks a lot, you’re such a big help and I appreciate it.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,442 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    Ok cool. Thanks a lot, you’re such a big help and I appreciate it.

Hi,
    I am going to try something, if it gives any positive results I'll let you know.
    EDIT: No luck, sorry  :'(