Logging on - Aspire A515-54

Options
Annierose
Annierose Member Posts: 9 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi My fingerprint is not letting me logon nor is my pin working. This happened yesterday afternoon. It was working in the morning
My laptop is an Aspire A515-54 
Can you please help Thanks

Answers

• William_mk2
    Options
    Annierose

Hi,

On the login screen, you will see something like sign in options.    You can chose the options like pin, password  if you have already set it.

In your case since you are not able to login using finger print or pin,  please login using password for your account.

If there are any issues in login using finger print reader please follow the steps below..

Remove fingerprints and update fingerprint driver

If the fingerprint doesn’t work in Windows 10, you can fix the problem simply by removing the fingerprints. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Open the Settings app and navigate to Accounts section.
      Windows 10 fingerprint without Hello Accounts
    2. Select Sign-in options from the menu on the left. In the right pane go to Windows Hello section and click on Remove button under Fingerprint.
      Windows 10 fingerprint greyed out sign-in options

After removing fingerprints, you need to remove your fingerprint driver. To see how to do that, check Solution 1.

Now you need to download and install the latest driver for your fingerprint reader. Lastly, you need to register two new fingerprints. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings app > Accounts > Sign-in options.
    2. Make sure that you have a PIN set up. If not, set up your PIN now.
    3. Go to Windows Hello section in the right pane and click on the “Set up” button.
    4. Follow the instructions on the screen to set up your fingerprint.
    5. After adding a fingerprint, go to Windows Hello section and click on Add another button.
    6. Follow the instructions on the screen to add another fingerprint.

After doing that your fingerprint reader should start working.

Remove and recreate your PIN

Several users reported that fingerprint doesn’t work in Windows 10 due to their PIN. However, you can fix this problem simply by removing your PIN. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Open Settings app and go to Accounts > Sign-in options. In the PIN section click the Remove button.
      Windows 10 fingerprint and PIN not working remove password
    2. Click the Remove button again to confirm.
    3. You’ll be asked to enter your Microsoft Account password. Enter the password and click on OK.
      Windows 10 fingerprint reader not working Dell verify password removal

Now you just need to add your PIN again. You can do that by following these steps:

1. Go to Sign-in options and click on Add button in PIN section.
      Windows Hello isnt available on this device add PIN
    2. Enter your password and click on Sign in button.
      Windows 10 fingerprint login not working re-enter your password
    3. Enter the desired PIN in two input fields and click on OK.
      Windows 10 fingerprint stopped working set up a PIN

After you recreate your PIN, the problem should be completely resolved and you’ll be able to use your fingerprint again.

You can also remove the existing password or add an new password for the admin account.   

If the comments are helpful please click on "like"

If the comments resolves your issue please click on "yes"

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Annierose
    Options
    Thanks for this unfortunately I didnt set up a password. So what else would work please.
    Thanks 
  • William_mk2
    Options
    Annierose

Hi,

If you have not set any password,  restart the computer,  on the login screen click on sign in options,  chose password. 

Click on the login user - When it is asking for password - just press enter.    You will be able to login to computer.   I will be very glad if it works.   

Note: Please let us know what happens.   If you see any other user, you can even login to that user and then we can set a new password for the current user.   Try to login with the pin, finger print ,password after restarting the computer.    If nothing works we can always reinstall the operating system.  We can also login to safe mode with networking and then we can try to login.    While holding the shift key on the keyboard click on the power button which is present on the top or lower corner of screen.    It will show you sleep , shutdown and restart.   Keep holding the shift key and click on restart and continue to hold the shift key.   It will show you an option to click on restart.    click on it.   Then you will see a screen with multiple options.   click on no 5 or F5 KEY on keyboard.  Computer will be started to safe mode with networking.   They you please try to login with all the options which was mentioned above.

If none of the options are working then we might have to do the recovery.   

There are different ways of doing recovery.

Please remember if you do a recovery, everything on the computer will be wiped out and it will become a brand new computer.

Method 1

Press and hold the Power key for 5 seconds to power the system off completely.

Press the Power key to turn on the computer.

Press the Alt and F10 keys at the same time when the Acer logo appears on the screen. ...

Select Troubleshoot.

Click Reset your PC. This process will erase all data on the your system.   You will see "keep my files" and  "Remove everything"

Choose the Refresh your PC option or "keep my files" if you want to restore your system and retain your data.  There will be an application loss if you chose "keep my files" option.   ( But it will be asking you to type the password for the user.   So please try the "remove everything option "

chose " remove everything " and click on "Just remove my files"

Click Reset to begin the recovery.

If the "just remove my files" option is not working you can try "fully clean the drive"

Method 1.A

Restart the computer.   It will go to the login screen.   Please don't type any password.    Press and hold the shift key on the keyboard.    It will be on the lower left side of the keyboard.   It will be just above the bottom row.     You will see a power button on top right or lower right of the screen.   If you click  on it, it will show you three options - sleep , shutdown and restart.    So while holding the shift key please click on the power button of screen and click on restart.   Keep holding the shift key.   It will show you, please wait and then it will show you troubleshoot, continue and turn of your computer. 

You can remove the hand from the shift key.

Click on troubleshoot, click on reset this pc.  It will show you keep my files and remove everything.

Please click on remove everything and just remove my files.

It will start the recovery process and then you can set the new password. 

Method 2

If you are able to boot the windows  ( This option is really not necessary as you can set a new password if you are able to login ).   You can use this option in the future.   This guides you on how to do recovery if you are able to boot up the computer.  

click on start, settings, update and recovery, recovery, reset this pc

It will show you "keep my files " and "remove everything" to continue with the recovery process

Method 3

You can start the recovery process using the recovery media which is designed for your computer.

It might be a set of cds or recovery flash drive which you can get it from Acer store.

If the comments are helpful please click on "like"

If the comments resolves your issue please click on "yes"

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Annierose
    Options
    It says your pin is required to sign in. Also it came with forgot pin. When I pressed it nothing happens. There is nothing much on the computer. 
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Annierose

I am really sorry for the inconvenience..

Have you ever used pin on this computer.   I understand that when you click on forgot pin nothing happens.   Did you chose password on sign in option and did you try to press enter when it was asking for password.    Don't worry.   The problem what you are facing is just a software issue.   We can easily rectify it. 

These are the basic steps that you need to follow.

Power Drain test for laptop.

If your computer is not having the inbuilt battery follow these steps.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.

2.  Remove the battery if it is not inbuilt.

3.  Hold the power button for 50 seconds.

4.  Connect all the cables back

5.  Turn on the computer.

Steps to remove the battery.

1.  Turn off the computer.   Remove all the cables and devices including power cable

2.  Turn the laptop upside down.  Flip the laptop.  On the back of laptop there will be a unlock switch.  You need to move the switch to the left or right and then you need to pull the battery door out.  

If your computer is having an inbuilt battery follow these steps.

Power Drain test.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.

Flip the laptop.  On the back of the laptop there will be a tiny hole.  It is called a battery reset hole.  There will be a battery symbol right next to the hole.

2. You need to insert a paper clip or small pin gently inside the hole and hold it for    30 seconds. 

3. Plug all the cables back and turn on the computer.

Step 2

Bios Defaults.

1. Turn on the computer and keep on tapping f2.  It will go to bios setup utility

2. Press f9 once on the bios setup screen.   It will show you bios defaults.  Please press yes.

3. Press f10 on the bios setup screen.  It will show you "yes" to save the changes.  Please press yes.

Computer will automatically restart and it will load windows..

If the above steps are helpful for you please click "like"

If the above steps resolves your issue please click "yes"

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Annierose
    Options
    Kept pressing f2 didnt go to bios. Just flight mode
  • Annierose
    Options
    Nothing works. I followed the instructions.