Keyboard some keys randomly stop working Nitro 5 AN517-51.

Options
GoWest
GoWest Member Posts: 5 New User
edited December 2020 in Nitro Gaming
Hi,

I recently bought a Nitro 5 AN517-51. I have done some gaming on it and about 10 days ago I ran into a problem.
Some keys on the keyboard stopped responding. I reinstalled the keyboard driver, did a clean boot but what finally fixed the problem was loading a system image from a few days ago. Now I ran into the same problem again but it's different keys. Both times the problem occurred while gaming, so I figured it might be that the heat did some damage to the keyboard, but the fact that it is not the same keys and that rebooting usually fixes the issue for about 15 minutes makes me doubt that.

As I use the laptop for university and work, this problem causes me quite some grief.

Does anyone know what could be the cause?

Answers

• William_mk2
    Options
    GoWest

Hi,

First of all we need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue.    If you face the same problem after reloading windows then it is a hardware issue.   Please remember recovery is only a last step and before starting the recovery process we can try some basic steps.

These are the basic steps that you need to follow.

Power Drain test for laptop.

If your computer is not having the inbuilt battery follow these steps.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.

2.  Remove the battery if it is not inbuilt.

3.  Hold the power button for 50 seconds.

4.  Connect all the cables back

5.  Turn on the computer.

Steps to remove the battery.

1.  Turn off the computer.   Remove all the cables and devices including power cable

2.  Turn the laptop upside down.  Flip the laptop.  On the back of laptop there will be a unlock switch.  You need to move the switch to the left or right and then you need to pull the battery door out.  

If your computer is having an inbuilt battery follow these steps.

Power Drain test.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.

Flip the laptop.  On the back of the laptop there will be a tiny hole.  It is called a battery reset hole.  There will be a battery symbol right next to the hole.

2. You need to insert a paper clip or small pin gently inside the hole and hold it for    30 seconds. 

3. Plug all the cables back and turn on the computer.

Step 2

Bios Defaults.

1. Turn on the computer and keep on tapping f2.  It will go to bios setup utility

2. Press f9 once on the bios setup screen.   It will show you bios defaults.  Please press yes.

3. Press f10 on the bios setup screen.  It will show you "yes" to save the changes.  Please press yes.

Computer will automatically restart and it will load windows..

Check how the keyboard is working fine now...

Step 3

Fix 3: Remove the battery

If restarting your laptop can’t solve your problem, try this: 

1)  Press on the power button for a few second to shut down your laptop.

2) Remove the battery of your laptop.

3) Wait for a while, then reboot your laptop connecting with AC power cord directly.

4) Try to type on your keyboard to see if it works.

Fix 4: Update your keyboard driver

Your laptop keyboard not working issue is also probably being caused by driver issues. 

Try windows + x - click on device manager  or press the window key + r - type devmgmt.msc on run windows

Expand Keyboard

Right click on keyboard driver - click on update.    Restart the computer and check

Fix 5 

Your laptop keyboard not working issue is also probably being caused by driver issues. 

Try windows + x - click on device manager  or press the window key + r - type devmgmt.msc on run windows

Expand Keyboard

Right click on keyboard driver - click on uninstall.    Restart the computer and check

Fix 6

Try to use an alternative usb keyboard and check.   If your alternative keyboard is working fine then it is the issue with your inbuilt keyboard

Fix 7

Sometimes the user you are using might be corrupted.   Try to login as a differrent user..

Create a local user account

1. Select the Start  button, select Settings  > Accounts  and then select Family & other users. (In some editions of Windows you'll see Other users.) 
    2. Select Add someone else to this PC.
    3. Select I don't have this person's sign-in information, and on the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    4. Enter a user name, password, password hint or choose security questions, and then select Next.

Change a local user account to an administrator account

1. Under Settings  > Accounts  > Family & other users, select the account owner name, then select Change account type.
    2. Under Account type, select Administrator and OK.
    3. Sign in with the new administrator account.
    Fix 8

Try windows + x - Click on command prompt admin or power shell admin

Try sfc /scannow

Restart the computer and check.   The keyboard should work fine now.

If the above steps are helpful for you please click "like"

If the above steps resolves your issue please click "yes"

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• GoWest
    Options
    I already tried those fixes with the exception of the battery reset, because I cannot for the life of me find the reset pinhole on the back. The problem was fixed by restoring a previous system image but then pops up again, just not always with the same keys. I'll try using an external keyboard once I have one available at home.

Thanks!
  • Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    GoWest said:
    I already tried those fixes with the exception of the battery reset, because I cannot for the life of me find the reset pinhole on the back. The problem was fixed by restoring a previous system image but then pops up again, just not always with the same keys. I'll try using an external keyboard once I have one available at home.

Thanks!
    Hi ,
    Really sorry to hear this , Try doing a system refresh.
    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. ...
    2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
    3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap or click Get started.
    4. Follow the instructions on the screen.
    Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• GoWest
    Options
    Oh, I did. It fixed it for the time being. But as it returned after a few days (specifically after a Windows update [Visual C++]) I am not confident it will stay fixed this time. Do you know any way to prevent this in the future or why this happens?

All keys work fine right now, which is why I'm pretty sure it is not a hardware issue. I'm just trying to figure out why it happens so I don't have to refresh my system every couple of days.
  • UmbraOzai
    UmbraOzai Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    GoWest said:
    Oh, I did. It fixed it for the time being. But as it returned after a few days (specifically after a Windows update [Visual C++]) I am not confident it will stay fixed this time. Do you know any way to prevent this in the future or why this happens?

All keys work fine right now, which is why I'm pretty sure it is not a hardware issue. I'm just trying to figure out why it happens so I don't have to refresh my system every couple of days.
    I am trying to find a fix for this too but i can't and my is worst my power button has started not working

• Fancyrat
    Fancyrat Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Having same type of problem after Microsoft update 12-16-2020
  • ELSKEN12
    ELSKEN12 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    i had the same problem but now i have a fix for it type this command in Command line and save it in the bios and your keyboard work now 
    shutdown /r /fw /t 0
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi ELSKEN12,

Good to know thanks for your information. It will be useful for many people. ​
  • SohamMangore
    SohamMangore Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    ELSKEN12 said:
    i had the same problem but now i have a fix for it type this command in Command line and save it in the bios and your keyboard work now 
    shutdown /r /fw /t 0
    Can you please explain the steps
  • Goury212
    Goury212 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 7
    Options

If you’re experiencing with your Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51 keyboard. Let’s troubleshoot this issue together. Here are some steps you can try:

1. Power Drain Test:
      • Turn off the laptop.
      • Unplug all cables and devices, including the power cable.
      • If your laptop has a removable battery, remove it.
      • Hold the power button for 50 seconds.
      • Reconnect all cables and turn on the computer.
    2. Bios Defaults:
      • Turn on the computer and repeatedly tap the F2 key to access the BIOS setup utility.
      • Press F9 to load BIOS defaults (choose “Yes” to save changes).
      • Restart the computer and check if the keyboard works properly.
    3. Driver Issues:
      • Press Windows + X and click on Device Manager.
      • Expand the Keyboard section.
      • Right-click on the keyboard driver and choose Uninstall.
      • Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    4. External Keyboard:
      • Connect an external USB keyboard to your laptop.
      • If the external keyboard works fine, it indicates a potential hardware issue with the built-in keyboard.
    5. Replace the Keyboard (if necessary):
      • If the problem persists, consider replacing the keyboard.
      • You can find replacement keyboards on platforms like eBay or Amazon.
      • Search for a compatible keyboard model for your Nitro AN517-51 and follow instructions to replace it.

Remember to back up your data before attempting any hardware changes. If you’re unsure or need further assistance, consider reaching out to a professional technician or Acer support123. Hopefully, we can get your keyboard working smoothly again!

If you want to test the keyboard keys, if your keyboard is not working well, if there are faulty keyboards, or if you want to try your computer keyboard, then this free online tool is for you.